Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 stuck in "roaming" mode

I returned from vacation in Mexico 3 days ago (Sunday) and since returning, my iphone has been stuck in "roaming" mode. I called Verizon Wireless and they confirmed that my phone is hitting local towers (and so I'm not being charged at roaming rate), but I need to get this fixed so that when I DO go out of my area, I know when I'm roaming vs. not roaming. Verizon Wireless had me try several things (phone reset, settings reset, etc., but nothing fixed the problem).

Any ideas?

iPhone 4, OS 4.2.6 (not available in OS dropd

Posted on May 18, 2011 3:45 PM

4 replies

May 20, 2011 3:57 AM in response to dianafrommoon township

Can anyone help? Verizon is now saying I might have to switch phone plans (I'm grandfathered into an older 1000 minute local plan). The Verizon tech I talked to on the phone in another city wanted my local store to try bringing my line up on a differnet phone to see if the other phone was also roaming (if it was, then we could conclude the problem was on the Verizon network side; if not, then it was the phone), but of course, my local store claims they don't have a spare phone they can do that with. They won't guarantee the plan switch will fix it, so I'm looking for other options at this point.

Please help!!

Jul 7, 2011 4:09 AM in response to dianafrommoon township

Hi,

Yes, I had tried changing Data Roaming settings (and a bunch of other things with Verizon and Apple Support). Verizon sent me a new phone and when we activated it, it was also roaming. After talking to several different reps who thought my old plan should still work, the last rep said he was 100% sure it was my plan. Because my plan was so old, it was semi-working but not totally compatible with the network. This guy had been with Verizon for a long time and couldn't believe that two other reps told me it should be ok, OR that they even activated an iphone on that plan. So, I finally gave in and switched to a new plan. (Believe me, I resisted and made them try EVERY OTHER OPTION before agreeing to that). My phone immediately went out of Roaming mode. I have NOT been out of the country again yet, but I'm hopeful that this won't happen next time now that I'm on a newer plan.

iPhone 4 stuck in "roaming" mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.