Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone using way too much data

Hello

My wife's 4G iPhone has been having battery issues since the update. Today she gets a message that she has used her full 6gigs of data.

She has maybe watch 20 mins of video and typically uses under 500 megs of data.

Has there been any weird issues lately.

Hotspot is turn off.

Thanks

Posted on May 19, 2011 1:15 PM

6 replies

May 19, 2011 3:36 PM in response to oddone_home

Some application is using data, and probably not getting the response it expected so it is retrying. Finding that application can be difficuit, but as a start kill all apps in the Recently Used bar, then run the battery all the way down until the phone shuts off and won't restart. Then charge for 4 hours. If that fails to fix it restore as a new phone with iTunes.

May 19, 2011 5:06 PM in response to oddone_home

Will try the restore when I get home. I had her delete all streaming apps and turn off the cellular data until I get home.

Called Rogers and then couldn't specify what the issue was coming from either. But they did provided unlimited data and a refund for the data overage for this month. They were great on the phone, except they couldn't pinpoint the usage and what it was downloading. They were able to let me know that there was atleast 1 gig downloaded within the past 12 hours or so. And earlier in the month there was 2 instances of 2 gigs or so during a 12 hour episode.

The two apps she had downloaded and used recently was the Edge 102 and Global TV apps.

I am also going to install the Data Usage app to monitor the usage for the rest of the month.

Thanks

May 21, 2011 9:37 PM in response to oddone_home

Weird... Me too. Wife's iPhone 4 started using a ton of extra data around the beginning of the month (May, 2011). Didn't think much of it (we were on vacation). But her account is now at 130% of her monthly allotment in 8 days... And she's never hit close to 50% before. My 3Gs doesn't seem to be affected, but I'm on an unlimited corporate plan.

I'll be restoring/updating her unit and putting in a call to ATT in the morning.

Nov 22, 2011 9:02 AM in response to oddone_home

My Apple iPhone 4 is doing the same thing. I don't go surfing the net or anything like that. I do have a few games but in the past year on average I only use maybe 100000 KB. since the download of the operating system I am now at 500MB which is unreal. On the weekend I reset my phone back to factory settings but it seems to be doing the same thing. Getting frustrated because I don't want to go over the 500MB because the cost would be high.

Any suggestions?

Aug 31, 2012 9:50 AM in response to Gonzo141

I checked my daughter's iPhone yesterday and the issue seemed to be iCloud backing up using the cellular network.

There are a few others things that I noticed that could use up larger amounts of data that you may want to make sure are "OFF"

Settings > Store > Use Cellular Data. Turn this OFF!

Settings > iCloud > Photo Stream. Turn this OFF!

Settings > iCloud >Documents & Data > Use Cellular. Turn this OFF!

iphone using way too much data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.