Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad needs to become stand-alone tablet

After researching and finally buying an iPad2, and being a PC guy (with an iphone), I've come to realize that the iPad(and iphone at that) is severely lacking in some respects.

Although it has some really cool features both in hardware and in software, doesn't anyone else think that the iPad is in desparate need of being able to update itself and back itself up(using possibly the time capsule)? Meaning, isn't the iPad capable of handling itself, without having to always plug it into another computer that has itunes?

I feel as though I'm the only one that sees the ipads real potential. It can be its own machine. Couldn't itunes just be tweeked a bit for the iPad(and the iphone) so that it can update itself and back itself up over a WiFi connection? Maybe I'm dumb when it comes to the meshing of hardware and software, but it seems it is past due and more than possible to accomplish. Does anyone know why this hasn't happened?

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on May 25, 2011 7:58 PM

10 replies

May 25, 2011 8:07 PM in response to gollywollie

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1495

Why hasn't it happened? Because if you want a stand alone lightweight computer you can buy a MacBook Air.

The iPad runs iOS and is an extension of iPod/iPhone devices, not a stand alone computer. It was never intended to be one. The system has always been a case of iPod+iTunes, or now iPod+iPhone+iPad+iTunes. Given the sales rate of the iPad despite your thinking this change is past due or you are the only one that sees its potential it does not seem to be affecting its success.

May 25, 2011 8:08 PM in response to gollywollie

I doubt you're the only one, but iPad wasn't designed to be stand alone and seems to work just fine with iTunes. I'm fine with it. I'm guessing millions upon millions are fine with it as well.

You ask if we know why it hasn't happened. We're just users here, like you. Guessing about why Apple does what Apple does, is against forum rules. If you think your voice needs to be heard by Apple directly, you can write them. Use the following URL: http://www.apple.com/support/feedback/

May 25, 2011 11:14 PM in response to gollywollie

Ask yourself what you "Need" vs what you "Want"

The iPad is a multimedia tool that can provide some productivity tools. It is not a replacement for a fully operating OS. It's an addition. Not a replacement.

That being said, I've found various useful apps to assist in my workplace. It takes some getting used to, but once you know what you need vs what you want, it can provide for your basic needs.

May 26, 2011 7:38 AM in response to gollywollie

I appreciate your comments. First, please know that I do like the ipad. I think I may have come across the wrong way. The only thing that I'm saying is, if the hardware is capable of handling itself, then why not make the software to allow the device its full capabilities without a need to connect to some other computer? Basically, why settle for offering less to customers when offering more is well within cost and abilities, especially because it would further increase profits. I agree that it should still keep the ability to connect to another computer, just not have the necessity to do so. If it were made to be independant, my belief is that Apple could capture even more of the tablet market. I don't care how well they are doing now, they would be doing even better if it became a stan-alone device. Updating could be done over wifi and backing up could be done without wires and other computers, directly to a network drive(i.e. Time Capsule). After talking with several friends(most of which do not own an ipad), they all agree that the ipad would be a much more attractive device. I also found that many of them already believed it was a stand-alone tablet, one of which had before decided on getting an ipad but after us talking about it needing another computer for itunes updates and backups decided against it.

Overall, my opinion is that the ipad is a great device but has potential for even greater things. Maybe eventually they will realize their potential, but at this point in time all of the iOS devices(ipod, iphone, ipad), but more especially the ipad, are not being utilized to their full potential.

May 26, 2011 10:37 AM in response to gollywollie

Gollywollie-

A full stand-alone tablet computer would be nice. If Apple doesn't do it, there are competitors who will at least try. But expect shorter battery life.

I read that the inside of an iPad is almost all battery, with only a smattering of electronics. If so, I think it may actually be utilizing close to its full potential.

How does the MacBook Air compare in terms of battery life? It seems to me that it would be what you really want if it only had a touch screen.

Fred

May 26, 2011 5:36 PM in response to gollywollie

It may be possible at some point. But consider the size of iOS updgrades and access to a full blown version of iTunes. Even with WiFi, the time it would take to update and download would be prohibitive and if people think they have issues with these tasks wired, just imagine the nightmare that would be befall the masses when their iPad freezes in download via WiFi. It would be 'hellish'. But that is just my opinion.

May 26, 2011 6:23 PM in response to gollywollie

...Meaning, isn't the iPad capable of handling itself, without having to always plug it into another computer that has itunes?...

To add to what has already been said, other than IOS updates, I already use my iPad primarily without having to "plug in to iTunes." All my stuff is "in the cloud", so there's nothing on the iPad that needs to be backed up. I use RDP & LogMeIn to control various computers, Pandora for music, Stream2Me for viewing my DVR recordings, Google Docs, email is on Exchange, Gmail, Yahoo & Hotmail. As you can see, very little is actually stored on the iPad so very little needs to be backed up. This is the model that Google is doing with their Chromebook.

But of course, "in the cloud" needs constant internet access. But your descriptions of a "standalone device" aren't really about using the device without internet access, it's without a PC. However, as I've described, I've almost completely cut the need for the companion PC. (Just iOS updates.) The "in the cloud" model means that you're not really tied to any computer. Meaning, your version of standalone has local data that needs backing up, which the cloud model addresses. Since there is no local data to backup, it could be argued the cloud model is "better" since you don't need to have "Time Machine for iOS", so to speak. 😉 I can be on my Mac Mini, Macbook Pro, iPad, Win7 PC, or XP PC and still get all the same documents and whatever. Lost or broken iPad? With cloud there are no worries about "PLEASE HELP ME RECOVER MY FILES FROM MY DEAD IPAD!" 🙂

Basically, you want a "tablet PC." Bill Gates promoted this years ago but at the time, no one could get away from the need for a keyboard, so they were always too heavy, and since they were a "full PC", they have only a few hours battery life. So tablet PCs didn't take over the world like Bill predicted. Going to a much "lighter weight" OS (like iOS and Chrome OS) and the improvements in battery technology have given us devices like the iPad and the Macbook Air and we can see a better chance of a tablet being universal (but not necessarily a tablet PC.) But your "needs" are better filled by a "traditional PC" (i.e.: Macbook Air) unless you can change your thinking to the cloud or somehow beyond the "traditional PC"...for now at least. 🙂

To paraphrase what I've read elsewhere, don't make the iPad work like a PC. Make your work fit on an iPad. Most days you'll commute to work on a moped (iPad) and every once in a while you start up the SUV or minivan (PC) when you need it. (e.g.: carry a matress.) If you need to commute everyday with the minivan (e.g.: drive 5 kids to school,) then the moped really wasn't the correct choice. (Well, I guess you could have the kids in the moped's basket. 😝 )

Just my two cents. 🙂

May 16, 2012 8:34 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

I think the new generation iPad can now be considered a stand-alone device, precisely as the original poster suggested.

I recall last year when searching for information about the iPad, this discussion really annoyed me because the OP had a good point and some respondents here gave the typical "don't be stupid, if people really wanted a stand alone iPad then Apple would have done it already and they know what they are doing..."

Glad to see the original poster vindicated.

Ipad needs to become stand-alone tablet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.