Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are iBooks so expensive?

I've been making a comparison of the prices charged for books purchased from iBooks. I have found that the same books I have purchased from the iBook store, cost only .30 - .50¢ more at Costco. And at Costco you get a hardback book. It can't be that expensive to reproduce a downloadable copy of these books. How do we get Apple to charge a reasonable amount instead of their current pricing?

I can see no reason to continue to buy from the iBook store with that little of a differance in price. With the actual hardback,I can donate them to the VA, when I have finished reading them, and get a tax deduction.

iPad 2

Posted on May 29, 2011 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2017 7:57 PM

I find it hard to believe that, according to iBooks postings, no one has raised the issue of iBooks charging its customers 35% - 70% more than competitors. Case in point: Today I checked the price of an e-book through iBooks and Amazon.

Contract as Promise: A Theory of Contractual Obligation

iBooks price: 28.99

Amazon price: 16.96

Difference: 12.03 12.03/16.96 = 71% more on iBooks than Amazon.

Yet I am to believe that no one is questioning this. i have search for a question and/or answer to what added value Apple provides its customers for the huge price increases over competitors. I have found no recent postings addressing this issue. My 45 minutes of search produced only postings on this issue that are from 2011 or earlier. I spent another hour trying to find a way to contact iBooks support for an answer to may question. There is no apparent way to get through, but you will be steered to issues about hardware that will frustrate you.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2017 7:57 PM in response to m845

I find it hard to believe that, according to iBooks postings, no one has raised the issue of iBooks charging its customers 35% - 70% more than competitors. Case in point: Today I checked the price of an e-book through iBooks and Amazon.

Contract as Promise: A Theory of Contractual Obligation

iBooks price: 28.99

Amazon price: 16.96

Difference: 12.03 12.03/16.96 = 71% more on iBooks than Amazon.

Yet I am to believe that no one is questioning this. i have search for a question and/or answer to what added value Apple provides its customers for the huge price increases over competitors. I have found no recent postings addressing this issue. My 45 minutes of search produced only postings on this issue that are from 2011 or earlier. I spent another hour trying to find a way to contact iBooks support for an answer to may question. There is no apparent way to get through, but you will be steered to issues about hardware that will frustrate you.

May 30, 2011 10:59 AM in response to Tamara

Tamara,

Thank you. Good link!

Like the author Mark Kendrick stated,his profits sky rocketed when he formated his books for "readers" and priced them much lower. Doing away with the publishers, means less cost to the consumer and increased profit for the writer.

Hopefully Apple will seek out authors to do this with like Amazon has, and drop the prices.

Jan 2, 2012 1:31 PM in response to m845

The macworld article makes sense. But the most of the books in the apple ibooks are overpriced. I was going to buy a kindle book the price was reasonable $15.39. Then I thought I have ibooks on my iphone lets see if they have the book cause I don't want to download the kindle app on my iphone if I don't need to. Well ibooks has what I'm looking for but for $27.99; $12.60 more then the kindle edition. So I'm sticking with Kindle from now on they are better priced and there selection is massive. I like Apple but I definitely don't love them. My next upgrade I might even switch to Android if the iphone 5 doesn't wow me.

Apr 25, 2012 10:51 AM in response to Tamara

One thing the article didn't mention was longevity which is something that's an issue where libraries and publshers are having issues. An e-book can be read by millions of readers without wearing out. A paper copy needs replacing after a certain number of readers have used it. A publisher can rely upon having repeat sales of a paper copy, but in theory will only sell an electronic copy once.

Why are iBooks so expensive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.