Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI adapter does not work on IPad 2. Not unique to this cable or to my ipad

I bought the apple branded HDMI adapter for my new IPad 2. When I plug it in it will give me a black screen and will, at most, very very sporadically flash the ipad screen for about one second then go back to black. Before assisting please read below to see what I have tried already:

I tried the cable on 2 different IPad2s and an original IPad.

I tried a different cable of the same design on 2 different IPad2s

I tried using both cables on two different tvs and using two different hdmi cables

I also tried powering off

I also tried running for-sure-supposed-to-work apps (although the IPad2 should mirror so that was unnecessary too).

I took to the Apple Store and they had no clue what was going on either. Anyone know if this adapter is just a defective product in general? What other things can I do to put my IPad on the tv...it was a large part of why I bought it.

iPad 2

Posted on May 31, 2011 7:45 AM

33 replies

May 31, 2011 7:57 AM in response to MWfromwashingtondc

iPads have a form of digital copy protection that will prevent protected media, such as DRM-infused iTunes movies, from playing back on devices that aren't compliant with the new priority protection measures.

The Intel-developed technology is called High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) and aims to prevent copying of digital audio and video content as it travels across a variety of display connectors, even if not in violation of fair use laws.

May 31, 2011 11:35 AM in response to deggie

It did not work while at the apple store. The apple store guy was not sure his tv worked (since the cable wasnt working on any ipads he tried) so he had me take a new adapter home to see if it worked. It did not. He said hed swipe out the IPad if it didn't but it does not seem to be the IPad given that three different ones have been tried with the cable

Nov 28, 2011 7:49 AM in response to MWfromwashingtondc

Don't know if this will help, but this is the procedure I use to get mine to work:

Insert HDMI cable into TV port.

With TV on, select input to HDMI port on the TV that the cable is connected to.

With the iPad in sleep mode attach adapter with HDMI cable and power adapter connected to iPad.

Turn iPad on (take out of sleep mode).

This works for me every time.

Also heard that a while ago Apple produced a batch of bad HDMI adapters. This could have happened again or not all the bad ones got sent back.

Dec 21, 2011 7:55 PM in response to Diavonex

My ipad2 ISO 5.0.1, will not work either. It worked when we first got the iPad last year. Since I upgraded the os it no longer works. I turned the IPad off plugged everything up and then turned it back on. It came up and then had a bubble on the screen that said "this accessory is not compatible with iPad" with an ok button. Did they take support for the adapter out of IOS 5.0.1?

HDMI adapter does not work on IPad 2. Not unique to this cable or to my ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.