Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 white proximity sensor doesn't work

I tried everything and the proximity sensor doesn't work.. That is an issue that could be fix with an update or something??

Posted on Jun 2, 2011 5:56 AM

10 replies

Jun 21, 2011 9:46 AM in response to Aparicio

If your screen protector does not have an opening above the receiver than that is most likely your problem like everyone in this room has already stated.I just want to add/let you know of an option if you still want a screen protector for your iPhone. I have a screen protector that I bought from my AT&T store that has an opening for where the proximity sensor is located and I have had no problems.

Here is the screen protector.....http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=c at2040038&q_sku=sku5200321&q_manufacturer=apple&q_model=prod4640223#fbid=jeCAYTB UfwM

You might be able to find it cheaper on amazon or ebay.

And like paulcb said, Some cases cover the proximity sensor on white iPhone 4's so just look for one that does not cover the proximity sensor or simply modify your case if you already have one.

My advice would be to go to your local apple retailer or where you got your iPhone from and see what they have for cases and screen protectors.

I know that AT&T was having some great deals on their cases and screen protectors when I got my White iPhone 4 a month ago.

Jun 21, 2011 12:56 PM in response to Aparicio

Yes, I'm fully aware of the numerous threads about this issue. However, I want to share my experience as I may stumbled onto something new.

Long story short, I've purchased about 7 white iphone 4's for my company and found that the proximity sensor did NOT work for some of them once the PureGear screen protector was applied (which was purchased at a Verizon store).

Now here's the interesting part...for the ones that it DID work for (about 3 or 4), they worked fine. However for these units only, if pressure was applied to the top left hand corner of the unit (basically pinch the corner between your thumb and index finger) the screen would shut off while on a call regardless of how far away from the sensor you were. I only noticed this because there was a gap on one unit between the white plastic and the metal band and when I squeezed it the screen shut off while on a call.

So here's my take: some units are more tightly assembled than others. The tighter ones HAVE the screen protector incompatiblilty issue, while the others do NOT but the screen will go dark when that corner is squeezed while on a call (while not near face or anything else that woud activate prox sensor).

Anyone else find this?

Jun 21, 2011 1:41 PM in response to daniel33

daniel33 wrote:

Screen protectors are usually the culprit. The white iPhone has an additional slot above the receiver that the iphone4 black model did not have which contains the proximity sensor

NO NO NO. Lets not start this again. The white and black iphones have the same transparent glass covered slot above the open earpiece slot. You just cannot see it clearly on the black phone because it blends in really well. If you look at it in direct light such as sunlight you can see it clearly. The prox sensor and light sensor are on both phones in the same location.

I think they lowered the sensitivity on the white iphone because of the glare that the white colored glass gives it. The black one doesn't have that problem so having a screen protector on it does not affect the black phones. Having something over the white one probably reduces the effectivness of the sensor just enough so it doesn't work at all.

Jun 22, 2011 3:37 AM in response to kc7gnm1

Alright agreed that the black one is INCREDIBLY hard to see, but you cannot deny that the white iPhone has an opening through the glass revealing where the proximity sensor is located while the black iPhone does not have an opening through the glass revealing the proximity sensor. And kc7 is correct about the glare causing the white iPhone's proximity sensor to be modified in comparison to the black.I Spoke with a man from Apple yesterday and he confirmed these things for me. So to kc7gnm1 I apologize for the faulty information and for letting things get out of hand. This has no relation to this current thread but just an FYI: The man from Apple told me that the white iPhone had to have its proximity sensor and camera modified, NOT REDESIGNED, just modified, due to the glare from the white paint.

Adriantevan, I would suggest letting Apple and Verizon know about your problem if you feel it is necessary.

Dec 28, 2015 12:28 AM in response to Aparicio

Have the same issue with my iphone 5 after replacing the screen. And now with my iphone 4 since I replace it with a new screen. But its not because its not working. After replaced it with a new screen I decided to protect it with a glass tempered. And the proximity sensor dont work. But when I removed the glass temper protector the proximity sensor works. So better check the glass tempered protector before putting it on your iphone.

iPhone 4 white proximity sensor doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.