Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why are my iphone 4 photos only 72 dpi?

I want higher res photos. When I import my photos through preview (using the import from iphone feature) they are coming through as only 72 dpi. Is there a setting I need to change on the phone, or is preview compressing them?? please advise. Thanks!

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 9:27 AM

12 replies

Jun 9, 2011 10:07 AM in response to webgirl06

Unfortunately, there is no way to adjust the resolution with the native iPhone app (that I'm aware of, anyway) ...

I'm surprised though at the comment... because there's no resolution setting, the iPhone 4 always takes pictures at the highest resolution.

How are you transferring the photos to your computer?

Jun 9, 2011 10:15 AM in response to OpieM

Yes, I think it may be happening in the transfer. I'm just using preview on my macbook, and selecting the "import from iphone" feature. There is probably a better way to do it...but it seems weird to me that preview would be compressing/downgrading the resolution. Is there a better way to transfer the photos to my computer?

Jun 9, 2011 11:43 AM in response to webgirl06

The standard size picture the iPhone gives you is 2592 by 1936 pixels. The resolution of anything you are looking at on the screen or printed on paper is up to the software producing the visible output. You can choose to print at any resolution you like - 100dpi, 200, dpi, 300, 600 whatever. The number of pixels isn't changing, only the size of them, and hence the size of the picture you see.

The "Preview" software is just that - for looking at a preview of what you have. As a standard screen resolution is 72dpi, that's what it happens to use. Any greater resolution would be wasted, being beyond the display capability of the monitor.

why are my iphone 4 photos only 72 dpi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.