Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 won't play through speakers

Recently, wheneven I dock my iPhone 4 into a docking station, it will not play through the speakers. It will charge. I had this checked by the Apple Store and they said that all the settings are correct and there is no damage to the pins. I have tried docking in a Fidelio and and Sony docking station. No sound comes out through the speakers but, again, the iPhone is charging. Can anybody help with this? The Apple person suggested it maybe something to do with the Bluetooth but I've turned that off and on, and it doesn't make a difference. Thank you for any help or suggestions.

iPhone 4

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 6:10 AM

9 replies

Aug 16, 2011 1:24 PM in response to susanfromwest reading

Hi bcturner. A few days after I posted, my iPhone started playing through the speakers with both my docking stations. I don't know what I did! I wish I could tell you. I just kept going back to the iPhone settings, changed a bunch of settings and it started working. You could probably try to go back to the original settings. Good luck!

Jun 19, 2012 5:01 PM in response to susanfromwest reading

Hold down the home button, which brings up multi-tasking.

From there, select one of your applications, but instead of tapping, continue pressing the icon application until a "-" sign shows on all your open tasks. Proceed to click on all open tasks until there are none left to close. When you go back in to your and re-connect to the dock, your music should be audible through the speakers.

Oct 12, 2012 6:07 AM in response to susanfromwest reading

Mine did the same thing last night. I read the replies here and TerjP had the solution. I grabbed a can of compressed air and cleaned out the pins (where you plug the charger into the phone), and also cleaned out the docking station (which was a juice pack external battery I bought), then went to my music and everything started playing. It seems dirt or lint can get into the pins compressing them and it sends a signal that the phone is still on a dock making the phone try to play through external speakers.

iPhone 4 won't play through speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.