Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help me make it ring again! (iPhone not ringing but ok with earpiece and external speakers...)

Hi, just got my new iPhone 4 (after my 3GS was stolen last week...)

I had it sync and updated to 4.3.3. this morning and noticed that it doesn't ring anymore when somebody calls, nor does it play any sound (keyboard, mail, etc...). It only vibrates. I checked the mute button and it's all ok. I read a lot on the web and finally decided to reset it and restore it to previous firmware but it didn't help 😟 !

I know it worked before the upgrade to 4.3.3. and I can listen to music or hear it ringing when (and only when) I use the earpiece. But obvioulsy I don't use an earpiece 24hours a day... It also plays music correctly on the external bose soundeck system.

So now I'm clueless... This iphone is 4 days old, I never had any serious issue with other apple products before and this is my professional working tool so I need to have it ringing as it should!

Any help/trick/advice would therefore be greatly appreciated!

Patrick.

------

iPod Touch v1 16GB, iPod Touch v2 64GB, iPad v1 3G 32GB, iPhone 3GS 32GB (stolen), iPhone 4 16GB (not ringing :-()

iPhone 4, OS 4.3.3.

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 6:00 AM

2 replies

Jun 21, 2011 11:47 AM in response to PaxBelgium

It rings again! Reading further on the web I found a similar thread (although different iPhone version and OS) and applied the "recipe" : I listened to music using the earpiece and slowly unplugged it : the music paused but then I could play it again using the phone built-in speakers!

Looks like the built-in spakers were 'activated' again after I slowly removed the earpiece and therefore all sounds can be played normally and the phone rings again. Hopefully I don't need to do that trick everytime I plug/unplug the earpiece... Future will tell...

So if I combine my experience with what I read of similar cases on the web I think there is something wrong with the hardware activation/de-activation of the built-in speakers as soon as you use the earpiece. It looks more to me like a HW issue and could therefore be linked to batch/suppliers. Maybe Apple could track the iPhone serial numbers reporting the issue and see whether there is a correlation somwhere so we correct the issue in the next generation?

If I lose it again I will update this thread further but I cross fingers I won't have to...

Pax

Jun 21, 2011 2:55 PM in response to PaxBelgium

I probably was too enthusiastic. Back to zero: iphone built-in speakers stopped working and therefore the phone doesn't ring anymore :-(

For sake of documenting this thread : I didn't do anything, except plug-in the charger, at which point the phone didn't make the usual 'bip', which attracted my attention. I obviously re-tried what I thought was the solution to my issue but it didn't work. I will bring it back to the Apple shop tomorrow and I hope to get a new one directly as this seems to be a real HW malfunction and it shouldn't happen with this kind of high-end products.

Pax

Help me make it ring again! (iPhone not ringing but ok with earpiece and external speakers...)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.