Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 16GB 3GS iOS update 3.x to 4.3.3 gone bad...HELP!

I updated my phone 3GS via iTunes from 3.x to 4.3.3. It went really smooth. It was backed up and synced in iTunes before hand. Shortly after the phone started giving numerous errors regarding "charging is not supported by this accessory" and a couple of similar messages. It is wasnt even plugged into anything. Its been doing this constantly since the upgrade. This is also causing the battery to drain quicker. Stopped at an ATT store, but they just suggested doing a restore. I did the restore in iTunes and followed the instructions which was easy. Again I backed it up before hand. When it was finished I told it to restore the settings from the back-up. Not one app besides the default ones restored. I probably had 200 apps. It seems most everything else restored. I can no longer connect to my home wi-fi which the phone sees but says cannot join network. The wi-fi is working as I'm using it on my Mac laptop now. It is not even a password protected network. I tried to do a sync in iTunes thinking all the apps would restore and it shows exactly what is on the phone for apps.

I have never had any issues with this phone before the update and 2 years of apps are gone. This a legit phone never, not jailbroken, etc... I could care less about games, but had many apps for accounts all set up. Banking, Walgreens, redbox, netflix just to name a few. I cant imagine starting over and figuring out what I had and restoring all the accounts, log-ins etc...

Sorry for the long explanation, but trying to head off all the questions that may be asked ahead of time. Any help would be appreciated. I don't get what went wrong and have never experienced any issues updating or with my phone before this iOS update. Not sure what I can do next or if anything can be done. Is there any previous back-ups that may be on the computer??

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 10:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 10:38 PM

To connect to WiFi you have to go to Settings app and turn WiFi ON, choose your network and make sure it is logged-in correctly. If you did this you may have new WiFi issues.

Regarding the "charging is not supported by this accessory" warning when actually not plugged in, this is usually due to dust, dirt, debris in iPhone dock port. Clean the port with a clean dry tooth brush. See if things are better. If not, then clean the iPhone dock port carefully with isopropyll alcohol, expecially the pins which are on top of the dock mid rib.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2011 10:38 PM in response to pmcfadzen

To connect to WiFi you have to go to Settings app and turn WiFi ON, choose your network and make sure it is logged-in correctly. If you did this you may have new WiFi issues.

Regarding the "charging is not supported by this accessory" warning when actually not plugged in, this is usually due to dust, dirt, debris in iPhone dock port. Clean the port with a clean dry tooth brush. See if things are better. If not, then clean the iPhone dock port carefully with isopropyll alcohol, expecially the pins which are on top of the dock mid rib.

Jun 27, 2011 10:51 PM in response to brad805

Thanks for the input. My WiFi is turned on. Never had a problem before the iOS 4 update. And my Macbook is connecting fine with my wi-fi network.

I will try cleaning the port, but it seems like a awfully big coincidence that this started right after the update.

I did find where you can download all purchased apps in iTunes, but it is not cooperating. Keeps asking me to enter ID and password and click "Billing Info" button, but just seems stuck in that loop. I'm going to restart and try again.

Thanks again!

Jun 28, 2011 6:25 AM in response to pmcfadzen

pmcfadzen wrote:

The wi-fi did connect after restarting the router.

I'm downloading all purchased apps to iTunes. I'm guessing I will lose all my setting and categorizing of my 167 apps??

Why are you downloading them? All apps and media should already be in your iTunes library on your computer, simply re-sync them from your computer to your device.

Jun 28, 2011 7:13 AM in response to diesel vdub

I did re-sync. My itunes library had the same default apps as the phone. This is why i'm downloading them through iTunes > purchased apps. It shows that I have had 167 apps. There is an option to download all. Which is what i did. My worry is once i sync, all the settings, categories will be lost. and I will have to re-log into all accounts and organize all the apps again. Also all the deleted apps will show that I previously decided I didn't like or want.

The only thing i can think of why this happened is the macbook I back-up and synced before update did not have my itunes account authorized, which i figured out when i went to download all previously purchased apps. I was logged in and all the updates, backups were successful.

I don't get it

Jun 28, 2011 7:36 AM in response to pmcfadzen

I think you missed my point. If the device is used as intended with iTunes used to manage content, all purchased apps already exist in your library in iTunes.

To me, it does not appear that you backup/sync/transfer purchased from your iDevice to iTunes regularly which could easily explain why issues occured during the restore process.

Unfortunately, since you are now having to re-download all apps, any customized/personalized content is gone.

If you have any backups of the device, you would be better served to restore from a backup at this point to get your app data back.

iPhone 16GB 3GS iOS update 3.x to 4.3.3 gone bad...HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.