Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 Lock button fix? Out of Warranty

Just today my Lock button became completly unusable, the phone is out of warranty now and the its never been dropped or thrown about.

The button has lost its tactile feel, and there is no click. Doesnt work even if more pressure is applied to the button either.

The nearest apple store is pretty far away, and i have no time to arrange appoinment there either, so im looking for a self repair guide or possible replacement part/button.

Thanks

PS Very typical of my phone to require a repair a week after my 1 year warranty had ended huh.

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Jul 16, 2011 1:40 PM

5 replies

Jul 17, 2011 1:38 PM in response to deggie

I called up and apparantly the warranty ended 3 weeks ago not, 1 week. Even though i purchased the iphone 9th july :S

I've already opened my iPhone and had a look at the sleep button assembly, and im puzzled. The ribbon cable button still has the tactile click feel, but asoon as i put the sleep button on it, it doesnt work. managed to bodge it atm, used a small sticker attached to the underside of the sleep button which decreased the distance, but still doesnt feel right.

What part should i get? the sleep button itself, or the ribben cable button?

Also whilst dissembling, i chipped a small piece of the motherboard near the 3.5mm jack, things seem to be working as normal so i guess there is no actual circuits running throu that part of the board.

It will have to get me thru till new iphone release.

iPhone 4 Lock button fix? Out of Warranty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.