Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX 10.7 Safari 5.1 font rendering problem

I'm getting capital letter A's instead of text in Safari 5.1 in Lion. Only on certain site. Anyone out there know what is happening?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 6 GB ram

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 4:46 PM

103 replies

Jul 20, 2011 5:23 PM in response to Josue Menjivar

I am having the same issue... Cleared font cache, trashed font preferences, but problem is still apparent. The URLs that I have problems, are perfect when viewing in Firefox or Chrome.

Called AppleCare and I have been shuffled to the engineering team for Safari. They did RemoteAccess and said they will call tomorrow after they have had an opportunity to research this issue a little more.

Jul 20, 2011 7:36 PM in response to Josue Menjivar

I had this same problem...this is what I did to fix it:

1. Quit Safari if you have it running.

2. Locate the folder 'Safari' in (normally) Macintosh HD>Users>your_user>Library>

3. Move folder 'Safari' to your desktop.

4. Start Safari. All pages should appear normal.

5. Quit Safari. Replace the new 'Safari' folder at the path above with the 'Safari' folder that you moved to your desktop.

6. Restart Safari.

This method allows you to retain all your history, preferences, extensions etc. Also note that by default it appears that 10.7 Lion hides your user Library. You will have to make it visible using a tool like Onyx or TinkerTool.

Hope this works for you!

Jul 21, 2011 4:22 AM in response to Josue Menjivar

there is a problem displaying arial font, changing your standart font to helvetica or something alike will fix the problem. im still researching what went wrong with the arial Font.

edit:

Search your font library for arial. here the problem could be fixed by deleting an alternate arial font, probably safari cant handle the larger charset.

Message was edited by: brntns

Jul 21, 2011 7:15 AM in response to t_w

I agree...my solution did not completely fix the problem...there were still sites that had localized spots of font rendering issues. As well, my 1Password popups still had issues.

Last night I also played with the basic fonts listed by you in your last post...but still seemed to be having some minor issues. Came back to my machine this morning and reloaded those pages...and haven't seen the issue yet.

Still not sure exactly what the solution it is...but I seem to be OK now...

Message was edited by: daveg57

Jul 21, 2011 9:31 AM in response to Josue Menjivar

Having the same problems on my end. It doesn't make sense that we'd need to turn off fonts to make this work correctly. Those are just temporary fixes. Hopefully we'll have enough folks posting here to make this a huge priority for the next update.

Problems seen:

http://futurejosh.com/downloads/screen1.png

http://futurejosh.com/downloads/screen2.png

OSX 10.7 Safari 5.1 font rendering problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.