Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

multiple credit cards on my App Store account

How do I go about setting up my App Store account with two credit cards? One for personal purchases and one for business purchases?

In other words, ONE account and TWO credit card payment options.

Thank you in advance for your replies!

Mac Pro 2.8 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.6), NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB, 10gigs Ram

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 8:01 AM

25 replies

Dec 12, 2011 2:00 PM in response to Bill H.

Thank you, Bill. I agree - it IS bizarre, given how many people might want to separate business from personal. Fortunately, I work for myself and my business AmEx is on the same account as my personal, so I can at least use the personal card for Apple and pay for the business charges separately at the end of the month. Not perfect, but it beats changing everything at Apple every time!

Sheesh.

Mary

Dec 12, 2011 4:45 PM in response to MarySTH

Most people would have separate accounts for personal use and business use. All of my clients do. And they use different bank cards, personal and business, in each account. One reason for this is that the End User License Agreement for the iTunes and the Mac App Stores is for a consumer, not for a business or a non-profit. The accountant sitting across from me says this is the legal way someone should be doing it. One should not normally commingle personal and business.

Dec 12, 2011 10:38 PM in response to Dah•veed

You are not commingling personal and business by having one account with two credit cards.

The charges made on the business card appear on the businesss card statement.

The charges made on the personal card appear on the personal card statement. They are still separate.

I do this with my Amazon.com account. ONE ACCOUNT with TWO CREDIT CARDS.

I never have problems with my accounting NOR am I commingling Business with personal.

Credit card statements come in the mail separate with the proper charges.

I don't like having too many iTunes accounts. Separate credit cards is sufficient.

May 25, 2012 11:49 AM in response to Bill H.

Apple likes you to have two separate accounts, one for personal and one for business. For example, my work e-mail was needed for my Apple certifications, my existing personal e-mail/account was not allowed to be attached to my certifications.

Furthermore, I think from a business owner/employer standpoint if I paid for your apps with my corporate card and it was attached to your apple ID and not one that is for the business then if you were to leave, you would be the owner of Final Cut Pro X (or whatever app) which will cost me another $300 to purchase for your replacement.

From the employer's standpoint, I am sure this makes sense to you.

May 25, 2012 12:03 PM in response to Capewire

In my case this doesn't apply. I have a home office and I am the only one authorized to use my account.

I like the way Amazon.com handles their accounts. I have one email, but I can use multiple credit cards. Personal and/or business on the same account. I have used it this way for mant years with no problems. Very convenient.

What apple needs to do is stop using emails as the main ID. This way people can get multiple ID's on the same account and assign purchases to each id. For instance, one ID for personal and one ID for business, but everything under one account.

Aug 13, 2013 12:19 AM in response to Bill H.

Isn't funny how someone who has an opinion "Dahveed" decides to be a legal, finance and "I know what you want and need better than you" expert who tells you what you are doing wrong, how you are doing it wrong and why everything Apple is doing is right... legally? So, if I am understanding his [il]logic, he is saying Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Nokia, Rim, Walmart, Target, eBay, Sears, Macy's Nordstrom, ... shall I go on? ... are all doing it wrong and by using them and having a choice in what form of payment you use is illegal? And somehow, Apple products are ONLY for personal and, more importantly, all the apps in the app store developed by tens of thousands of developers/companies worldwide are only for personal use... really? there are no business apps in iOS or OS X app stores? Weeeiiiirrrrd, I wonder where I got mind - they are almost exclusively what I use daily - I don't own a single game, never use facebook or twitter, etc - my personal time is for my family, not on one of my devices.

Apparently, Apple's business products such as Pages, Keynote and Numbers are actually only for personal use - funny, I guess I'm the only one who doesn't do presentations to my family and friends or create spreadsheets that require all the power of Numbers. Let's see... oh, yeah, apparently all businesses and developers on the OS X and iOS platforms are actually doing it for a hobby and Apple made software such as Logic Pro X is only for personal use - they better update the description to remove references to being for professional use. Oh, and their app store legal policy describing different licensing restrictions for commercial vs. personal use must be wrong, eh?

"Two is not too many." Really? I think it is, and frankly, I don't care what you believe is OK for YOU - it doesn't mean it's OK for everyone else.

Glad Duhveed's signature says "Apple fanboy since 1984" - typical defending Apple and their arrogance of "we know what is right for you". Sorry, Duhveed and Apple, you don't.

I know this is an old post, but it is still a problem. The fact article after article, blog after blog, forum topic after forum topic, and nearly everyone I talk to about this considers it a problem not handled with the customer in mind says it is not a small minority of people who wish this could be done for whatever reason they want - I will never argue with someone about their own personal choices on how they like to conduct their personal business.

Aug 13, 2013 7:39 AM in response to Dahde

I'm sorry that you have poor reading and writing skills and lack good reading comprehension and recollection. Besides the fact that you are resurrecting a thread that was started almost two years ago and has been long dead over a year.

I did not anywhere state that the apps in the Mac App/iTunes App Stores were consumer apps. I stated that the Licensed Copy End User License Agreement for the content sold by Apple in these stores was a consumer license. Apple has government, business and educational licenses for those who should be using them, which are available through the appropriate stores: http://www.apple.com/r/store/government/ ; http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313?target=smb ; http://store.apple.com/us-hed . As the co-owner and CEO of a small family run, multi-million peso Mexican corporation that provides turn-key human resources and accounting systems to Mexican companies, I well know of what I speak. If you believe that the vast numbers of folks whom you know feel as you do, then unfortunately they are as uneducated about the topic as you are. You might speak to the US IRS about the co-mingling of personal and business. Folks screw themselves over every day because they are ignorant and do stupid things. But...it is a free country.

Nov 6, 2014 5:38 AM in response to Bill H.

It is still not possible to have two credit cards with your iTunes store account. I've just had a discussion with an Apple representative who suggested I give feedback to Apple about this. The more we are, Apple might listen to us in the end.

This is the link

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

Please feel free to use or modify what I wrote there:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m surprised as are many other people who have the same issue (can see this in many forum threads) that Apple don’t give us the possibility to have at least 2 credit cards with one AppleID/account like most other vendors do (even much smaller than Apple). This certainly forces people to buy some stuff elsewhere that they otherwise would have purchased from Apple (for example books) or restrain from buying things they would have bought if they had a choice to use a second Credit Card.

Not having this option puts me in a precarious situation since it would not be OK to buy just anything with the Credit Card that is tied to my business (and in many cases like mine the business is only one person, the VAT No being the same as my social security No).

Sole traders need an option too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings

Anna

multiple credit cards on my App Store account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.