Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

poor performance after wake from sleep in Lion

I have problem with wake up from sleep.

when i just use my mac, it works normaly

but after wake from sleep, graphic performance

down to about half.

for example i got 70 fps around. in WOW.

after wake, it drops to 20 fps around.

Cinebench 11.5 shows 16fps after wake.

but 30 fps from first reboot condition.

Mac is 2008 2.8 octacore with Radeon 5770

lion looks heavy than SL. more heavy feeling to

click something. it reacting bit slowly than SL

and this made feel heavy. please fix this problems.

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 9:45 AM

78 replies

Jul 25, 2011 12:13 PM in response to macreal

I also have tried to diagnose my graphics problems after upgrading to Lion and determined this is the cause. After wake from sleep I can even see the performance degrading in the animations to mission control, playback of quicktime videos, and full screen flash.

2008 iMac with ATI gfx. Not a good machine but this is defininatly a problem that didnt exist in Snow Leopard, or in Lion on a fresh boot before sleep.

Jul 31, 2011 8:47 PM in response to macreal

Logically, this shouldn't be a factor, but what the heck, you never know till you try. There has been another problem reported with Lion after sleep and maybe the solution will apply here. After sleep, the zoom feature stops working for at least some of us. I and others have found that instead of having to restart, you can move the cursor to a corner which is set to start the screen saver. As soon as it goes to the saver, move the cursor away and the zoom will work again.

Worth a try to see if it fixes the graphics problem too since it just takes a second.

Aug 1, 2011 1:31 AM in response to macreal

I also had the honor of experiencing this dramatic fall of graphic performance after waking up from sleep. However, it also happened while using iPhoto in full screen and simply adjusting photos. It's hard for me to comprehend that developers at Apple did never put their Mac to sleep and experienced this for themselves. Let's wait for 10.7.1. and see if they fix it.

Aug 7, 2011 2:39 PM in response to macreal

I had the same issue on my 2011 13" Macbook Pro. It came with SL, I upgraded to Lion and after wake up from sleep, graphics performance was very bad. In the end, I uninstalled AirDisplay and the performance seems to be back to normal after wake up from sleep.

Perhaps this helps some of you as well.

Cheers

Aug 10, 2011 8:44 AM in response to macreal

I have a 2011 13' MBPro Core i5 - ever since Lion upgrade my video is crazy after waking from Safe Sleep. i have only noticed the issue when the computer goes into safe sleep (when the battery is depleted)

Upon waking the video is distorted like TV "snow" and usually the system wlll hang when I try to restart. So I end up holding down the power button until power off. Only fix I know of is to avoid letting the battery run out!

No problems to report when running this mac under SL - kinda wish i'd waited before upgrading. Downgrade would be a big hassle.

Hope 10.7.x fixes this!

Aug 10, 2011 9:32 AM in response to davidfromfreiburg

davidfromfreiburg wrote:

I also have tried to diagnose my graphics problems after upgrading to Lion and determined this is the cause. After wake from sleep I can even see the performance degrading in the animations to mission control, playback of quicktime videos, and full screen flash.

2008 iMac with ATI gfx. Not a good machine but this is defininatly a problem that didnt exist in Snow Leopard, or in Lion on a fresh boot before sleep.

I have the same machine as you and have the same performance degradation after the iMac has been running for a while. There's been a suggestion in another forum I'm following stating I may not have enough free HD space left and that could be my issue. How much free space do you have on your iMac?

Aug 10, 2011 12:20 PM in response to davidfromfreiburg

Thanks, David. I wanted to rule out my limited HD space (32GB). I'm not convinced it's just waking from sleep that may cause the problem or the ATI graphics. A restart does fix my iMac like many here, but it's short lived.

The performance symptoms seem to span many different machines/setups that have been left on for a while. I'm following this thread:

Lion - Memory Usage Problems

poor performance after wake from sleep in Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.