Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mission Control stops working after a while

Looking at the forum it seems I am alone in this.

Mission Control ceases to work after a few hours.

I first find this out when nothing happens with a four finger swipe.

Then if I try to click on the dock icon , zilch. It blinks to tell me I clicked on it and that's all.

I then go to System Prefs-Mission Control and try turning things off and then on again but still no joy.

The only way I have been able to get it functioning again is to restart.

This is now a daily theme since the upgrade to Lion.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

Any clues as to what I should look for in the logs?

MacPro early 2008, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 6GB RAM 2TB HD Pioneer 112 and 118 superdrives

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 7:38 AM

11 replies

Jul 26, 2011 7:51 AM in response to jhpreleude

Interesting, type Mission Control in the "Ask a question" box and nothing much comes up.

Start a discussion and a whole lot of Mission Control items appear in "More like this".

Guess I have to get used to interface.

Anyway I found a solution suggested for a crashing Mission Control regarding removing unused hidden files in my home directory. Tried that and then also restarted the Dock.

Mission Control came back!

I will see if it lasts the day and report back.

If it does I will close this thread.

Jul 27, 2011 4:35 PM in response to Josh Glover

Mission Control is still functioning after a couple of days.

I will accept that the correction was to remove outdated hidden files from my home folder.

For me this was relatively easy as I use the "Total Finder" app and have "show hidden files" as an option.

There are many ways to show hiden files in Finder this was just the way I used. Most third party system tune up utilities can also enable this as can a direct command in the Terminal app.

I chose to delete all hidden files dated 2008 or earlier as well as ones I knew were associated with apps long since deleted.

Once this was done and the Dock restarted my Mission Control blues went away.

I consider the matter resolved.🙂

Jul 27, 2011 6:27 PM in response to Josh Glover

As I mentioned files dated 2008 or earlier and those I knew were associated with delted apps.

I chose 2008 as a date as I figured if the file had not been modified or accessed since then I obviously don't have much to do with the app that created it.

Also, I figured if I deleted something I shouldn't then I would simply need to re-install the associated app (which would no doubt tell me something was amiss next time I launched it.)

From what I have noticed, the hidden files here are usually associated with registrations and prefs the app wants to keep out of view. As I can easily re-enter serials or licenses it didn't matter if I made an error and deleted something that was not a problem.

The files you have will be quite different to mine.

Jul 28, 2011 7:42 AM in response to jhpreleude

OK I was too hasty.

Seems the issue did not get resolved.

Then I found this...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3193150

Deleted the three preference files, restarted the dock (was not able to logout/login as I had something running and didn't want to stop it) and Mission Control is working again.

Of course I need to re-do the dock and reapply other prefs I had previously set up.

See how it looks, and if it is still working in the morning.

Mission Control stops working after a while

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.