Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will iPad display microsoft power point presentations? And will it display excel spreadsheets?

I am contemplating purchasing an iPad to use at work, however we use a lot of microsoft poer point and excel and I need to be compatable with the rest of the office. Will iPad display Power Point presentations and excel spreadsheets?

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 4:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 4:43 PM

Yes it will but you will need to purchase apps that are compatible with those types of file. Apple's iWorks suite, Pages, Numbers and Keynote for example ... Documents to Go, Office 2Hd and others are available in the app store. Google " iPad word processing apps" or something to that effect for more options.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2011 4:43 PM in response to laurafromglenwood

Yes it will but you will need to purchase apps that are compatible with those types of file. Apple's iWorks suite, Pages, Numbers and Keynote for example ... Documents to Go, Office 2Hd and others are available in the app store. Google " iPad word processing apps" or something to that effect for more options.

Aug 1, 2011 4:49 PM in response to laurafromglenwood

I wanted to edit my post for you but you read my post right away ---- anyway - right out of the box - these are the file formats that the iPad can read as mail attachments. If you want to save and edit the files - you will need to purchase a third party app that is compatible with those files.

Viewable document types: .jpg, .tiff, .gif (images); .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel)

Aug 1, 2011 5:02 PM in response to Demo

Thanks for your help on this, I haven't purchased an iPad ..yet. In Australia business is very Microsoft orientated so I need to be sure I am compatable with my collegues. At the moment, I take my laptop with me everywhere so if I am with a client and need to access a spreadsheet or presentation, I can without carrying ten trees worth of paper with me! I wouldn't really need to create or amend these files, just display them. For example, with my laptop, I can remotely connect to a collegues computer, access an excel file or PP presentation and display. Will I be able to do that with an iPad?

Aug 1, 2011 5:25 PM in response to laurafromglenwood

There are apps that allow remote connection to your computer. One is called Splashtop Remote and another one that i know of is called Team Viewer. I have used Team Viewer on occasion and it does work. For me, these types of apps are a little "clunky" but many users swear by them and rely on them every day. I have never taken the time to really get into the nuts and bolts of how these work to be quite honest.

Look at Splashtop Remote here

http://www.splashtop.com/remote

and Team Viewer here

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

There are others available and again I suggest my "best friend Goggle" will be a big help in your search!

Aug 1, 2011 5:37 PM in response to Demo

Thanks ...my remote log in is web based so that won't be an issue. I just need to know I can display PP presentations without having to muck around and convert them. Like I said the majority of business here uses Microsoft ( god knows why?) and I constantly receieve, send and share data in this format. I think the iPad would be a great tool for me is so many other ways but I really need this part to work for me as it is a key element to my everyday role

Aug 1, 2011 5:44 PM in response to laurafromglenwood

Well like the support article states - the files that I posted above can be viewed right out of the box as email attachments - no mucking required. And it really does work. I do have Pages on my iPad, but before I had any editing apps, I was reading Word documents, PDF files, spreadsheets and so on right from the email.

The only thing to remember is that if and when you do get an iPad - you cannot save the files either unless you have one of the compatible apps in which to do so. As long as you save the emails - you will still have access to the files. The iPad does not have a conventional folder structure for saving files like a computer OS has. On the iPad, files are saved in the app in which they are created.

Aug 1, 2011 6:23 PM in response to laurafromglenwood

Laura, everything demo has said is right on point. But you need to understand that powerpoint and xl, while you can view them and edit them using the applications that demo talks about, each time you make a conversion, you lose some functionality. If 100 percent of your stuff is mircrosoft dependant, the ipad may not be the best choice you can make.

Its great on its own merit. Get one. But it is not a full replacement for a laptop or full computer. Find a friend that has one, ask some questions, and make a good decision.

Aug 1, 2011 6:39 PM in response to pjl123

oh...here we go 😟. pjll23...all I need to do is view it on the iPad, I don't need to create or alter any presentations or xl files. I don't want to totally replace my laptop, that won't work for me. But I would like to be able to go into a meeting with clients and be able to show presentations and spreadsheets without having to print enough copies for all people in attendance or an XL sheet which has too many columns to print on one page. I am thinking this would be easier than passing my laptop around the table. Also there are times where I have not thought I needed to bring some things with me and it turns out I do need it. In that case I could have a collegue email me the spread sheet and view it? ...I can't find anyone I know who has an iPad...all the kids use iPods and iPhones and none of my friends use Apple as it is generally not compatible with the majority of workplaces in Australia

Aug 6, 2011 3:22 PM in response to laurafromglenwood

Just to add a couple of thoughts to the others in your two threads...

(Mostly composed at the other end of the day but work got in the way)

No USB ports means no need to support random devices, provide a mechanism to install drivers for them, or have them drain the battery. In contrast to some other tablets and smart phones the iPad has no SD slot either. It also lacks a conventional filing system, support for certain Bluetooth features. And it won't run Java or Flash! It isn't trying to be a general purpose laptop with a touch screen instead of a keyboard. However if it does what you need at a price you (or your work) can afford then great. I've been really pleased with mine (work paid) and it fits my uses much better than a heavier laptop would. Depending on your needs, remote desktop tools such as LogMeIn, GoToMyPC etc. will let you access desktop applications when they are the right tools for the job.

tt2

Will iPad display microsoft power point presentations? And will it display excel spreadsheets?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.