Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini 2011 Digital Audio Output with HDMI Video?

I just hooked up my 2011 Mac Mini 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 running Lion and I'm unable to output sound via the optical connection.

The new Mac Mini is connected to my TV via a HDMI cable and I'm using a Toslink cable to connect the audio to my receiver from the Mini.

All the audio options on the Mini seem to indicate only two audio out options: internal speaker and HDMI audio. There appears to be no optical or analog audio out available.

I've looked in the Sound Prefpane, Audio Midi Setup and even the excellent Sound Source menubar app from Rogue Amoeba to no avail.

The audio setup was working perfectly on my Late 2005 Mac Mini running Snow Leopard, but that's using a DVI to HDMI cable and a Toslink audio hookup.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 8:16 AM

87 replies

Aug 4, 2011 8:27 AM in response to dfbills

Can you plug in a pair of headphones and see if "Line Out"

shows up is sound prefs? Do you have another optical cable

to try? You may have coincidentally damaged it when putting

the new setup together? Rare, but happens.

Something else you may try, configure the hardware the way

you want then to a PRAM zap. This can sometimes force the

system to rediscover hardware.

Failing relief from any of the above, I would take it back and

check it out in the store you got it. If it doesn't work there,

demand a new Mini, because it's broke.

Aug 18, 2011 4:37 AM in response to dfbills

Hi.

Just wanted to ask what should one do if there is no Optical Audio Out in ones HDTV. I have a Sony Bravia but unfortunately theres no optic out. After reading your post, I'm wondering how I can get Digital Audio playing on the surround system if I have the following setup:

1) Sony Bravia V series 52 inch

2) Mac Mini 2011

3) Digital amp/receiver (with no HDMI input or output)

4) Speakers (Klipsch)

Please help because I don't think I'll get to change my HDTV anytime soon!

Thanks!

Aug 18, 2011 11:19 AM in response to dfbills

Hello dfbills,
I'm facing the same problem with my mac mini.
I bought a new mac mini about 15 days ago.
I tried to connect it to my AV digital receiver (ONKYO TX-SR608) via HDMI in order to get 5.1 audio output. But the only thing I obtained is a stereo output.
In midi configuration all the multi channel audio options are disabled. The only one that is selectable is the stereo option. On the other hand in VLC audio set up the multi channel option is selectable but if I click on it the program (and the played dvd) hangs up.
Yesterday, tired of making continuous efforts in order to get the multi channel signal from the HDMI interface I bought an optical (toslink) cable. It was also suggested to me at the GENIUS BAR by an Apple operator.
I connected the optical cable to the audio output of the computer and then I connected it to my AV Receiver.
At the same time I disconnect the HDMI cable from the AV Receiver and connected it directly to my HDTV.
Unfortunately nothing has changed. I only obtained a 1080p video output (and stereo audio output, of course) via HDMI and no audio output from the optical output.
When the optical cable is connected, an audio encoded option appears in the menù of the midi configuration (internal audio output) but there is no way to obtain multi channel output in speaker configuration.
I notice that in this configuration also the stereo signal via optical output is not working and no light is visible across the optical fibre. Note that I tested the cable with other devices and its working fine.
Although Apple claims that the mac mini supports all the multi channel audio output both via HDMI and internal audio output I could not get it in any way despite the various configurations attempted.
I do not think it is a hardware problem but rather a software problem, driver or other software devices released with new Lion OS. I saw from many other forums that at least the optical cable solves the problem in previous versions of the MAC OS.
Note that after upgrading to version 10.7 of LION OS I had problems with video output after restarting the OS.
Sorry for the many words but I tried to be as accurate as possible in order to give you all the elements to help solve the problem.
Waiting for someone who can give me the right solution (configuration or suggestion).

Many thanks in advance!

Aug 19, 2011 3:13 AM in response to dfbills

To pass Dolby or DTS to your receiver or TV, you must

go to Audio Midi Setup and select your HDMI output and

set it to 24bit, stereo. This will allow pass through of

these signals to the receiver/TV.

This is because, Dolby and DTS are streams encoded

into a stereo digital stream. There is a flag in this stream

to tell the the receiveing device to decode it.

No software to my knowledge on the Mac platform decodes

any Dolby or DTS into multichannel PCM and sends it out

digital to HDMI or optical.

Aug 19, 2011 3:15 AM in response to dfbills

Hello,

yes my receiver upscales digital inputs, but the problem is that no signal is coming from the mac mini via optical output.

Via HDMI the maximum I obbtain is a stereo signal reprocessed by my receiver in Dolby Pro Logic II.

I'am very disappointed for this issue. I spent a lot of money for the mini relying on the specifications stated by Apple.

I hope they provide a fix as soon as possible or the mac mini will never be able to perform as a media center or simply as a dvd player compared with other devices at lower price.

And at least but not the last Apple is declaring characteristics that are not really supported by the actual mac mini.

Aug 22, 2011 4:10 AM in response to dfbills

When DVD player has multichannel enabled, it just

passes through DTS or Dolby, it does not and mostly

cannot decode to multichannel. Codec licensing issues. It does

however select stereo tracks.

Not sure about the new systems, but I know my 2010 Mini

does not support TrueHD or DTS-HD MA. This has something

to do with "protected" audio path required by the industry for

these formats.

I do however, watch movies daily with DTS and Dolby passed

through to my receiver.

Mac Mini 2011 Digital Audio Output with HDMI Video?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.