Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Warranty - minor dent, no repair -- Buy a full cover asap

Get a full cover asap when you buy an iPad. In fact, iPads should NOT be sold without a full cover. From what I can see the magnetic covers do NOT protect you for warranty service. Without a full cover, if you get even a minor dent, APPLE will not do any warranty service on it. None.

In July 2010, the week after I received my iPad, I got a minor dent on the frame. The iPad slipped off my golf cart and brushed up agaisnt a metal grate before landing on the grass on the golf course. Since the dent occurred, it has been working fine for a year.

In May 2011, while doing a regular iPad software IOS upgrade, the upgrade hung and would not complete and then would not install. I talked with Apple, the person was very nice on the phone. I explained I had a minor dent. He said if minor send it in which I did. 5 weeks later it came back, with a "form letter". Nothing had been done, they said that they could not fix it, and they did not call to discuss before send it back. I have since been able to fix it myself BUT wasted 5 weeks with Apple. The problem on my iPad was a software issue not a hardware issue. Apple did not warranty center did not help.

It is my understanding that Apple will NOT under any circumstamces do ANY WARRANTY SERIVCE on an iPad, iPhone, iPod, etc with ANY PHYSICAL DAMAGE even if the problem is not related to physical external damge. If there is ANY damage they will just send it back to you UNLESS YOU want to PAY APPLE to repair your iPAD. From my persoanl experience, they will not even call you to discuss the option of pay for repair, it just comes back. Period.

The dent is negligible of the frame. As I mentioned, I dropped it on a golf course and it brushed up a steel reailing before landing on the grass.

So Get a full cover, get a full cover, get a full cover the day you buy it. From what I can see the magnetic cover does NOT protect the edges so it is kind of useless from a warranty perspective.

Has anyone had any better experience getting warranty repairs from Apple if they have a minor dent on their iPad?

Does anyone think that the magnetic cover is adequate to protect from minor dents to the cover?

iPad, iPod Touch, iMac 24, Other OS, 4 GBs memory, 500 GB hard drive, Parallels 5 (Win XP and Vista)

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 1:37 PM

It's been adequete for me, haven't had it too long (maybe 5 months) but there not a single scratch on it. Looks exactly how it did when I got it.

Now I use it around the house and when I do take it out I still have my box that I use to protect it when travelling. If I were going to be taking it out a lot of course I would have full protection. It all depends on your usage/needs. It was quite obvious to me that the smart cover wouldn't provide full coverage but I knew ahead of time and researched full protection should I ever have the need for it.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2011 1:37 PM in response to _TC10_

It's been adequete for me, haven't had it too long (maybe 5 months) but there not a single scratch on it. Looks exactly how it did when I got it.

Now I use it around the house and when I do take it out I still have my box that I use to protect it when travelling. If I were going to be taking it out a lot of course I would have full protection. It all depends on your usage/needs. It was quite obvious to me that the smart cover wouldn't provide full coverage but I knew ahead of time and researched full protection should I ever have the need for it.

Aug 25, 2012 12:04 AM in response to _TC10_

My microphone broke 9 months after purchase (while visiting family in Australia and really wanted to make videos!) was under warranty but had exactly the same experience. Apparently there was some cosmetic damage to one of the pins in the dock connector....didn't affects its ability to dock with speakers, car, mac, camera, tv ...shall I go on? Anyway it seemed to me just very convenient for Apple since the microphone being broken would have meant giving me a new one. Ah now we're getting somewhere! Now 2 months out of warranty I have a faulty sim reader (also common on here) so I have wi-fi only model despite paying full price for 64gb + 3G.

iPad Warranty - minor dent, no repair -- Buy a full cover asap

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.