Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 proximity fix after screen replacement

Heres a small tutorial i'm writing becuase i found alot of people having this same issue. Without any answer, i found this fix for the proximity sensor after doing color swaps or screen replacement on the iphone 4.

This is how i fixed it.

What you will need:

-electrical tape

-scissors

You have to be comfortable with dissasembling your iphone 4 all the way to taking the front LCD+digitizer off.

If you do not know how, search it on youtube there are plenty of tutorials.

Once you have the front screen off you should see the front of the housing:

User uploaded file

Once you are here, you can see the 2 tiny squares on the top above the phone (ear) speaker.

These are the proximity sensors that you will need to construct a "mask"with small openings to only let a minimal amount of light into the sensors.

I took a small piece of electrical tape and cut it into 5 small strips.

2 slightly longer than the other 3:

User uploaded file

Then you take the 2 longer pieces and place them parellel to eachother:

User uploaded file

Then you add the 3 shorter pieces across the 2 parellel strips like so:

User uploaded file

By doing this you are creating a mask with 2 pin sized holes to put over the sensors.

You then apply this mask lining the holes up over the sensors like so:

User uploaded file

That is it. Reassemble the phone and make a call and the proximity sensor should work. Ive dont this little tweak on a few color swapped iphone 4's and it's worked perfectly everytime. If it doesnt work the first time adjust the holes over the sensors again.

I know it looks sketchy but for someone that wants a color swapped phone and wants the proximity sensor to work this is a great fix.

Video after fix and reassemble:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlOAEzGVbdg

Hope this helps!

iPhone 4, tutorial

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 9:48 PM

27 replies

Nov 3, 2011 11:36 AM in response to xTylerB08

Hi and thanks for the post.

I also repair iPhones and came accross this in the past but ahd always resolved it by installing a different screen. I wish I would ahve known.

Here is my dilema today. My own phone's power button stopped working (the bounciness went away). I replaced the ribbon that has the power button on it and it fixed the issue but now my proximity sensor will not work. The ribbon I changed has the power button, the proximity sensor and the secondary microphone on it. I thought it was a bad part but when I open the phone and connect it without the screen being onthe front, it works. I waive my hand on fron and it turns off.

User uploaded file User uploaded file

I tried the tape but no success. I tried an aftermarket screen and again no success. I'm about to put the phone back together and sell it AS-IS.

Can anyone suggest anything?

ThanksUser uploaded file

Mar 10, 2012 10:41 AM in response to xTylerB08

Hey guys, I had this very same problem. I tried the OP's solution and the results were pretty shakey at best (no offence, it just didn't work for me). So, after examining the hardware for a bit, I realized the problem. When you first take your Iphone apart, there's 2 sided tape around the area where the proximity sensor is. My new screen didn't come with replacement tape so I just put it back together without it. I think that may be what's causing the problem. I think part of the reason that tape is there is to block light coming from the LCD assembly. My solution was to cut strips of black electrical tape to cover the gap between the lcd assembly and the front glass. My sensor now works flawlessly. I do have to note that the OP's Mod is still in place to that may be part of the solution. Only way to know for sure is to disassemble the phone again to remove the tape over the sensors, which I'm not doing again if I can keep from it (done it 5 times so far today, LOL).

Here's a pic so you can see what I'm talking about.

Bartstop

User uploaded file

Mar 10, 2012 11:31 AM in response to Bartstop

I've got a solution that works quite well actually.

what you need to do is get 2 small pieces of scotch MAGIC tape. about 3MM X 1CM take these 2 pieces of tape, put one piece over the censors so it covers it comletely, then put the other piece of scotch tape over the hole in the glass.

once both pieces are covered in tape, take a BLACK sharpie and completely color in both pieces of tape. this should make your censors work perfectly.

took me about 8 dissasemblies to find this method, but it works the best.

heres a picture of the tape over the censor. do the same thing to the replacement screen over the hole.

User uploaded filealso make sure that the tape is pressed down so that no light can make it through the sides of the tape. just enough light will pass through the 2 layers of black sharpied magic tape.

Apr 2, 2012 8:55 AM in response to J-Billz

Hey J-Billz. I just want to see if I am understanding what you are saying. I replaced a cracked screen with a new purple one and now the proximity sensor does not work. I've taken it apart several times to try and repair this issue and nothing seems to work, not even the black electrical tape. Now I'm looking at your pic and you said you used Scotch Magic tape and sharpied it black but looking at your pick, that looks like a piece of gold tape over the sensors? Am I seeing this wrong. I just want to make sure I get it right this time, I'm not sure how many more times I can dissasemble this phone! lol

Thanks!!

Apr 2, 2012 9:19 AM in response to ezwind72

I have now fixed 3 iPhones with the black tape fix. Ignore my post above with the tape over part of the back of the LCD. I have proven that doesn't work. However the OP's method works brilliantly. I personally put the tape over the sensors 1 piece at a time using tweezers.

1. First piece covers the top 1/3 of both sensors.

2. Second piece covers bottom 1/3 of both sensors.

3. Third piece covers left 1/3 of left sensor.

4. Fourth piece covers right 1/3 of right sensor.

5. Fifth piece is the hardest. It goes between the 2 sensors. You have to get the width just right so it covers 1/3 of both sensors.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Apr 2, 2012 10:51 AM in response to ezwind72

@ezwind. Ignore bartsop as I have done BOTH methods on several phones. An mine works everytime. You have to make sure you cover the sensors with scoth tape AND the glass window for the sensors. Post pics of what you have done. And also compare to mine. It should work. An is much easier/faster then the electrical tape method.

iPhone 4 proximity fix after screen replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.