Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iphone 3gs shuts off mid call or while something is opened and says battery is completely dead when it is not. 5-10 minutes later it will turn back on showing it is not a completely dead battery.. is there anything i can do to fix this problem?

my iPhone 3GS shuts off mid call or while im in an app or on the internet and will not turn back on showing i have a completely dead battery. 5-10 minutes later it will come back on showing battery is not dead... what can i do to fix this???

iPhone 3GS, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 2:48 PM

2 replies

Aug 23, 2011 12:34 PM in response to Stefan vd

My 23 month old iPhone 3GS would shut off randomly and then show no battery. Sometimes I could turn it back on and the battery would be about 50%. So I'd plug it in and within minutes it would back up to 100%. Then a few minutes later, it was off again. This happened on 3G, wifi, phone call, Safari, games, with all the bells and whistles turned off, etc. I spent weeks researching the web and found one post about replacing the battery. I just wanted my iPhone to last until the 5 came out. Since the genius bar fix (back up, synch, restore, etc.) didn't work, I gave this a try. ifixit.com sells OEM batteries and a replacement kit for about $30. The directions were very complete (except connector 5 was a little more difficult than I was expecting). I was very nervous about doing this but figured the phone was useless to me anyway, so why not. Amazingly, when I got it put back together, everything worked and the phone functioned just like it did when it was new. This was about 3 months ago and everything is still working. And I haven't had to turn off all the features I got the phone for, either. There are other companies that sell these kits but ifixit.com has a great reputation.

If you do this, MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT BATTERY. You cannot use any other battery other than the OEM one. And don't be discouraged if it doesn't work. There was a bad batch of batteries a few months ago. ifixit.com will immediately replace whatever they sent you.

Lately I've been reading posts complaining that this only started happening after one of the 4.x upgrades. I found a few answers about one of those upgrades not being compatible with the original battery. So if your 2 year old iPhone 3GS is shutting off randomly and the battery meter is funky, or this just started happening, try replacing the battery.

my iphone 3gs shuts off mid call or while something is opened and says battery is completely dead when it is not. 5-10 minutes later it will turn back on showing it is not a completely dead battery.. is there anything i can do to fix this problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.