Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved" NO RECOVERY PARTITION

After defragmenting my disk the old-fashioned way, I lost my recovery HD partition. I am currently working to get it back.

That was in an attempt to create contiguous space for Boot Camp Assistant. While that error is now solved, a new one has popped up: it says some files cannot be moved.

I am hesitant to repartition the entire drive again. Is this the only thing to do at this point?

I tried running FSCK from single user mode. It didn't help. I can run disk utility from an external backup drive, but isn't that the same as FSCK? I'm honestly not sure so please answer if you know!

User uploaded file

(Click thumbnail to enlarge)

MacBook Pro (2007), Mac OS X (10.7.1), 2.2GHz, 6GB RAM

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 3:11 AM

7 replies

Aug 31, 2011 1:05 PM in response to The hatter

Hello,

I chose to start a new topic because this was unique in that I had ALREADY repartitioned the drive. It is therefore unrelated to the fragmentation issues others have discussed.

I guess I'll just repartition & restore it again.

I've been using CCC for all my backups, and I agree, CCC is a great tool, thanks for the recommendation.

Aug 31, 2011 4:24 PM in response to ahanuban

I just had this happen to me and took it to an Apple Certified tech. He went into Disk Utility. Verified disk (there were red errors). Clean and fixed the errors with the tabbed options there and then partitioned the drive.

I wish I had made the drive bigger. We set it at 25 and with just a few programs it is taking up 20 of the 25. I hate to uninstall and start again, but might as well do it now, while there isn't much on there. ugh. There goes another weekend.

Sep 27, 2011 2:43 PM in response to ahanuban

I solved the issue by creating the partition with disk utility as a FAT32 partition, and then reformatting it using the Windows 7 installer. Unfortunately, this didn't install the boot camp drivers, and as a result, I found myself running around the internet trying to find them. I eventually installed Win7 with parallels and am now happy.

Thank you all for your help!

Sep 27, 2011 3:08 PM in response to ahanuban

You just run Boot Camp Assistant and that downloads drivers.

Using Disk Utility does not setup the Master Boot Record for native dual boot.

BCA or CampTune does.

If you had 10.6.x DVD that has Apple drivers (wish they would just NOT call them also "boot camp" it confuses people).

Print and read the pdf, the FAQ, the install guide.

Draw inside the lines.

Boot from Windows 7 to format.

But yes a lot of people can avoid and still use most non-gaming, non-3D or hardware gobbling resource intensive apps with a VM.

"Disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved" NO RECOVERY PARTITION

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.