Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does "other" mean in storage info

When i check my storage on my mac, it tells me how much hardrive is taken. one category is other, which is 30 gigs. Does any one know what other is?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 2, 2011 5:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2011 5:15 AM

evanfromringgold wrote:

When i check my storage on my mac, it tells me how much hardrive is taken. one category is other, which is 30 gigs. Does any one know what other is?

Everything that is not covered by the other categories is in the 'other' category

User uploaded file

39 replies

Jan 30, 2012 5:48 PM in response to Pondini

Pondini wrote:

Other is just that; everything besides the categories listed.

OSX, it's work files, caches, logs, etc.

Everything in user accounts other than the categories listed, such as documents, spreadsheets, emails, contacts, etc.

See Lion's Storage Display for details.

I don't see a category for documents:

User uploaded file

Just Audio, Movies, Photos, Backups and Apps, I think that documents are included in 'other', although rereading your post suggests that is what you said 🙂

Mar 23, 2012 4:28 PM in response to evanfromringgold

This may be a dead post but i just ran into the same issue i had roughly 7 gigs of "Other" and i freaked! Well digging around the web i found a solution that worked for me. I have an iPhone 4 16GB and i read that the "other" is sometimes SMS data so clearing out your SMS messages saved in your phone would clean some of that "Other" Data out. So thats what i did i erased all of my text/sms messages and unhooked, and the rehooked my iphone into the computer and pulled up itunes, I now have a mere 0.93GB of that yellow "other" filling my iphone. 0.93GB i can handle though i would like to know what it is im not nearly concerned about it as i was almost 7 something GB of unaccounted for data.

Again:

1. Unplug iPhone

2.goto "Messages" app and delete all un-important SMS messages (all if possible)

3.Plug iPhone back into computer and run iTunes and your device should be all but clear of that insanely high amout of "other" data

NOTE: I do not have an iPod touch that has ever had this problem so for iPod useres im not sure if this will help you any, sorry 😟

What does "other" mean in storage info

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.