Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i dropped my iphone in the water and have dried it out as much as i can. it only works when it's plugged into the mains and doesn't hold a charge. it doesn't recognise the sim or wifi anymore...i can see my contacts, photos, music but can't find a way t

i dropped my iphone in the water and have dried it out as much as i can. it only works when it's plugged into the mains and doesn't hold a charge. it doesn't recognise the sim or wifi anymore...i can see my contacts, photos, music but can't find a way to do anything to be able to forward/save them - any ideas!!!! how am i going to get my photos/contacts off????

iPhone 4

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 5:06 PM

6 replies

Sep 6, 2011 5:09 PM in response to jeanfromoxford

I don't think you are going to be able to retrieve your data if you can't synch your phone.

Had you used the iPhone as recommended, you never would have found yourself in this situation, as contacts would have been synched to Outlook, Address Book, or a cloud service, and your photos would have been imported to your computer right after taking them.

Relying on a mobile phone to keep data safe, when the phone can be lost, stolen, or damaged as you've obviously discovered, is a very bad idea.

Sep 7, 2011 12:01 AM in response to Big Brother23

Thanks for the replies. No, the phone won't turn on when connected to a computer.

I followed advice I found on similar discussion forums to dry the phone out and didn't try to plug it in to he mains for five days after the silica gel/rice etc. Unfortunately although I tried to synch many times my phone never did and I guess I didn't spend enough time following up to see why it wasn't. It's just annoying that I can see the contacts, photos etc but can't get to them.

Sep 7, 2011 12:38 AM in response to jeanfromoxford

Hi

Although it's possible that you might have permanently short circuited something, modern electrical devices are remarkably resistant to water damage, so don't give up yet. What you are waiting for is the total evaporation of ALL the liquid in the case, but this can actually takes weeks not days. Some things that slow the process down:

Being in a tiny space means that the surrounding environment is already saturated with vapour so evaporation slows to a crawl.

Having a very small surface area (it's probably just droplets lodged somewhere) slows evaporation to a virtual halt as well

Other substances dissolved in the water (ie soap in bath water) also slow down evaporation

I'd recommend putting the phone somewhere warm and dry, with circulating air, and leaving it there for at least another week. Carry on using silica gel or rice because that helps. You've got nothing to lose.

Ps Just thinking about you battery issue: the li-ion batteries are certainly not designed to get wet, but they are designed to withstand a certain amount of humidity and moisture (people put iPhones in sweaty pockets and go jogging with them etc). If water had short circuited the actual battery itself then I think you would have smelled smoke! I think it's more likely that you have battery terminal contacts which are still affected by water in some way, and which might be dried out.

Jon.

i dropped my iphone in the water and have dried it out as much as i can. it only works when it's plugged into the mains and doesn't hold a charge. it doesn't recognise the sim or wifi anymore...i can see my contacts, photos, music but can't find a way t

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.