Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I remove my sim card can I still use my iPhone to access wifi?

Im planning to travel overseas (to the US) where most hotels have wifi available.

My current phone plan has no global roaming so I wondered if I could remove the Sim card from the phone and still use the phone to access wifi while I'm overseas?

Alternatively, can I somehow disable my phone's access to my carrier while I am overseas?

Oh, and one more question if anybody has the answer... if I want to use Skype to contact family while overseas, am I best to download the free Skype application or should I get the Skype wifi version? It confused me as it talked about various 'usage charges' etc.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me!

Cheers!

iPhone 3GS

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 8:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 8:45 PM

richsaralex wrote:

Im planning to travel overseas (to the US) where most hotels have wifi available.

My current phone plan has no global roaming so I wondered if I could remove the Sim card from the phone and still use the phone to access wifi while I'm overseas?

Alternatively, can I somehow disable my phone's access to my carrier while I am overseas?

Option 1: Turn on Airplane Mode (first item in the Settings App), then enable Wi-Fi (second item in the Settings App). Your cellular connection will remain off but Wi-Fi will work.

Option 2: Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data > Off and Data Roaming > Off. This will leave your cellular connection active but you will not be able to use the Internet without a Wi-Fi connection.

I am not familiar enough with the Skype app to answer your other question.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2011 8:45 PM in response to richsaralex

richsaralex wrote:

Option 1: Turn on Airplane Mode (first item in the Settings App), then enable Wi-Fi (second item in the Settings App). Your cellular connection will remain off but Wi-Fi will work.

Option 2: Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data > Off and Data Roaming > Off. This will leave your cellular connection active but you will not be able to use the Internet without a Wi-Fi connection.

I am not familiar enough with the Skype app to answer your other question.

Sep 6, 2011 8:59 PM in response to richsaralex

If you have no intention of using the cellular connection at all, you might as well go with Option 1.

Last time I travelled internationally I left my cellular connection active so that I could receive text messages. I did not dare make calls or send text messages as it would have been very expensive. Doing this also ran down my battery more quickly.

Your mileage may vary.

If I remove my sim card can I still use my iPhone to access wifi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.