Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Significant difference between AT&T vs Verizon/Sprint?

I am definitely buying the new iPhone 4S, and I was trying to decide between Verizon (my current carrier) and AT&T (which I used to have as my carrier).

After reading about 10-15 messages on this subject here in the discussions, I think I am going to remain with Verizon for the following reason: unlocked iPhones (including the 4S) can ONLY work on GSM networks, not CDMA-based ones. However, the Verizon/Sprint versions of the iPhone COULD be unlocked and used with a GSM network. Now, whether Verizon will agree to unlock an iPhone such that it could be used with a GSM network is another matter. (I'm primarily interested in being able to use it abroad with a local carrier's SIM card, instead of paying Verizon's roaming rates. If Verizon sticks to precedent, I should be able to get the iPhone unlocked after 6 months. Does anyone agree/disagree with this scenario? Thanks.

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 11:38 AM

9 replies

Oct 7, 2011 2:49 PM in response to KiltedTim

KiltedTim wrote:

ONLY Verizon can answer that question. Even if they do that, the phone will only work with Verizon when in range of Verizon service. You will never be able to use it on AT&T, for example.

It will also suffer from the inability to talk and surf on 3G at the same time, but if you're already with Verizon, you're used to that.

From another discussion I was a part of, this sounds right. Verizon will probably charge roaming or something where they can, and then when you are outside of their roaming coverage, they will provision/unlock your GSM until you return then lock it back up.

I plan to make some calls this weekend to confirm this but it sounds like it will still be expensive when traveling with your iPhone.

Oct 8, 2011 6:30 AM in response to anthrovisual

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I know about the limitations of CDMA re: talk/surf at the same time. I owned 3 iPhones on AT&T and only used that feature a couple of times. CDMA is nice because it handles voice and data on different streams, which means the network isn't bogged down trying to handle both simultaneously. However, that being said, I'm looking forward to LTE and doing both, which I suspect the next iPhone will support. Re: using GSM, as I mentioned in my original post, I'm mainly concerned about using the phone overseas on a European GSM network, without paying Verizon's roaming rates. We'll see if they honor past precedent and agree to unlock it for that purpose after 6 months, as they've done with other handsets.

Significant difference between AT&T vs Verizon/Sprint?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.