Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the AT&T Unlimited Data Plan still be honored for iPhone 3GS users choosing to upgrade to the 4S?

For AT&T customers, will the "Grandfather" rule for unlimited data apply this time around? If so, will there be restrictions as to where we should pre-order?

For example, if I pre-order through Apple's website will they be able to honor the unlimited data plan? Or must I pre-order through AT&T's website (since it is their service after all).

Also, any idea which pre-order will result in faster shipment to Houston?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 1:59 PM

15 replies

Oct 6, 2011 2:07 PM in response to jtp84

YES!!! I contacted AT&t about it. They stated that I can keep my unlimited usage plan when I upgrade. Don't know about ordering through Apple. But I will guess that Apple only sells the phone. AT&T is the data plan you use. As long as you stay with AT&T I think you will be alright.

The same AT&T rep stated that the 4S will not be available until Oct 14th. Pre-orders will ship out on that date via UPS with a 3-5 day standard delivery time. I guess you can request an expedited delivery. But it still will not ship before Oct 14th.

Oct 6, 2011 2:14 PM in response to ralphfromworcester

Apple does more than just sell the iPhone - just as Best Buy does more than just sell phones.

Existing subscribers can change their data plan or messaging plan when ordering or purchasing an iPhone from Apple, and new subscribers can get approved with ATT when ordering or purchasing an iPhone from Apple.

Last year with pre-orders placed on the first day, the iPhones were delivered no later than the release date - with some exceptions for various reasons - at least for pre-orders placed with Apple. My iPhone 4 pre-order last year placed on the first day pre-orders were accepted was delivered a day or two before the release date.

Oct 6, 2011 2:16 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Thanks guys!

Allan, I've heard conflicting information about the delivery date. You seem to be confident that they will arrive no later than release date if they are ordered on the first available pre order date.

Allan Sampson wrote:

If you pre-order tomorrow, pre-orders placed on the first day that pre-orders are accepted at a minimum are set to be delivered no later than the release date. Pre-ordering from one or the other will not change this.

Can you cite where you're getting that information?

Oct 6, 2011 2:23 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

However, AT&T has announced that they will start throttling "unlimited" data plans in the near future - that is, slowing down your connection once you exceed a certain threshhold each month. They have not announced what that threshhold is.

If i am correct then, if you have not accepted this condition, you may be able to get out of your contract free?

Oct 6, 2011 2:24 PM in response to jtp84

I'm getting that information based on first hand experience - my pre-ordering of the iPhone 4 last year on the first day pre-orders were accepted. My iPhone 4 was delivered a day or two before the release date. My pre-order was placed with Apple, not ATT.

If there were no chance to receive a pre-order on the release date, there wouldn't be much reason to begin pre-orders a week before the release date.

Oct 6, 2011 2:27 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Allan Sampson wrote:

I'm getting that information based on first hand experience - my pre-ordering of the iPhone 4 last year on the first day pre-orders were accepted. My iPhone 4 was delivered a day or two before the release date. My pre-order was placed with Apple, not ATT.

If there were no chance to receive a pre-order on the release date, there wouldn't be much reason to begin pre-orders a week before the release date.

Ok, fair enough. Thanks for the info, hopefully that holds true this time around!

Jan 11, 2012 8:39 AM in response to pug1334

Speaking of throttling, I received a text from AT&T a few days ago that I ws in the "upper 5%" of data users. Yesterdy they reduced my speed from about 2.5MBPS to 0.09MBPS. I have been calling and fighting with them since. They say that I still have an "UNLIMITED" plan, just slower, untill my monthly billing cycle resets. I am only 9 days into that cyle. 22 days to go at 0.09MBPS. It is now a limited plan. I can't use Netlix, I can't use Pandora or Youtube. I am now limited. If you are on a teired plan and go into the upper 5% you are not throttled, you are just charged more. It's not right.

Will the AT&T Unlimited Data Plan still be honored for iPhone 3GS users choosing to upgrade to the 4S?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.