Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 3GS frozen/rebooting after iOS 5 update.

Hello all,

I updated my iPhone 3GS to iOS 5 last night. All seemed well until I noticed the restore was complete. The iPhone was frozen on the Home Screen. The flash of white the runs beneath the slide to unlock is frozen at different intervals everytime the phone reboots itself. I have tried restoring the phone multiple time. I am unable to perform a hard reset because the phone's sleep button is nonfunctional. When the phone decides to reboot itself, about every two minutes, I notice that for a split second it flashes to a gray screen with an iPhone in darker gray. There are words all over the screen but I am unable to read any of it before te phone resets. I think I see a "Peparing to Install" title on the screen, but that is a guess. Any ideas from anyone? I'm really at a loss of what to do.

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 1:28 PM

Okay, I let the battery run down and when I plugged my iPhone back in it worked! I'm pretty lucky the battery ran down very fast with the constant resetting it was doing! Otherwise I would've been waiting a few days!

22 replies

Oct 17, 2011 11:32 AM in response to chgsantos

Same here! I'm glad that someone can relate. I will be at a good battery percentage and open something and my screen goes black and I have to then hold the sleep button to reset it and turn the phone back on. Sometimes the phone comes back on in a minute like nothing happened and other times it takes a few minutes like it is all the way dead.

I hope there are more updates and fixes soon.

Oct 19, 2011 11:53 AM in response to maximus_16

An update on my problem above. I too restored my software but all it got me was losing all of my ZombieLife progress, LOL.

It seems to me that my phone freezes/reboots when it is trying to grab a signal for an update. It has happened to me several times on the initial visit to a website on Safari and also on Nike GPS. I can still see the page I was on in the background a bit but there is no recovering the phone. I have to then hold down the lock button to restart it and sometimes that will not work unless it is on a charger.

Today my battery went from around 70% to the phone saying it needed to be charged in the span of a few minutes. When I did get it on the charger in my car it went back to 66% after rebooting.

I don't know if it means much but I have AppToolKit Lite and in the System Monitor it shows you memory usage. At the moment out of 254.23MB I have 120M Active and the only I am running is the app. Wired is at 40M, Inactive is at 32.20M and Free is at 63.90. This is after I double-clicked the home key and killed all other apps. When there are apps active the Free memory is next to nothing. Not sure if this is a cause but I hope there is a solution soon with 5.01!

Dec 17, 2011 6:20 AM in response to SunilMang

Hey All!

I had the same problem. First, after the installation of iOS5 I couldn't use my 3GS. I had the erreur code n°29. At the fiftieth attempt, i restored my iphone and restart at the beggining like if it was new.

Then the phone had battery problems like you, and restarted every 5 minutes.

I JUST CHANGED THE GENERAL SETTINGS AND CHOOSED TO NEVER LOCK IT AUTOMATICALY (it was definite to do it every 5 mins).

AND NOW MY 3GS WORKS VERY WELL. BATTERY IS STABLE.

Hope Apple will give us an update of iOS5 soon to clean every mistakes.

Hope it will try for you. Have a good luck.

Neatbird.

PS: if you enjoy music check my band at www.upperlines.com It's a kind of electro-acoustic progressive music.

iPhone 3GS frozen/rebooting after iOS 5 update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.