Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I plug my iPhone in, it shows the proper name on iTunes but the name of my girlfriends phone on Windows Explorer. How do I fix this?

I have plugged her phone into my computer once before... I can still access my pictures through Explorer but it just show's the name as being wrong...

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 10:02 AM

27 replies

Oct 20, 2011 10:17 AM in response to bdhillon

Having the same problem here. After I upgraded to iOS 5, windows showed the iPhone as "David's iPhone" instead of "Graz's iPhone". David is a friend of mine who plugged his iPhone in my pc weeks ago. I tried uninstalling the apple driver, and then reinstalling (using a guide found here on apple support), and now it is just shown as "Apple iPhone". Another issue is that the pictures are not anymore in the DCIM folder, but it shows three weird folders instead, and the pictures and videos are all scattered in those three folders.User uploaded file

Please, someone help!!

Oct 30, 2011 1:29 AM in response to Master(G)

Hello there... Hello Graz.

Glad to hear that I am not alone. I have the same problem but a bit a reverse than yours.

Recently I had also upgraded to iOS 5 as well. I have no problem using iOS 5 for a week or so connecting to my personal laptop (Windows 7) and also PC at work (Windows XP)

What happened now is that a few days ago my friend (Bob) connect my iPhone to his personal laptop to transfer some of the pictures we have taken on my iPhone. Bob never use iPhone and no iTunes were installed to his laptop. Bob transfered the pictures using this software called "Readiris 12 PRO" (www.irislink.com) instead of the normal "Windows Explorer". He used Windows XP by the way. The transfer went well.

Right the next day, I connected my iPhone to my laptop and started to experience the same DCIM folders problem Graz mentioned above except that my iPhone's name remain unchanged (Maybe the fact that Bob's don't use any iPhone - a bit contrary than "Graz-David" issues). I also noticed that all the pictures were grouped into several "alphanumeric" folders according to the month of the pictures taken. I could not delete some of the folders but I can delete the pictures or copy them onto my laptop.

I had tried many ways to get thing back to normal but NONE of it (refer below) solved the issue I am facing. This include:

Attempt 1: Reset my iPhone through the device itself via "Settings/General/Reset/Reset All Settings" - No data or media were deleted.

Attempt 2: Reset my iPhone throught the device itself again via "Settings/General/Reset/Erase All Content & Settings"- All media & data were deleted and all settings were reset. But then I used iTunes as a back up when sync back all my data (mainly apps). All media in Camera Roll were gone, some non-online apps data were also gone. So sad my all 3 STARS achievement on Angry Birds were also gone.

Attempt 3: Reset my iPhone as in Attempt 2 but this time set as a New Phone without back up from iTunes. Quite happy when all those weird folder are gone. Took one snap and reconnect to my laptop. ****! The weird folder appeared again.

Attempt 4: Started to feel like something is wrong with my laptop. So i restore my Windows to an earlier date (before Bob connect my iPhone to his laptop)

Attempt 5: I installed iExplorer for iPhone (www.macroplant.com/iexplorer) so that I can browse my iPhone as an external disk and I couldn't find all the weird folders in DCIM. My intention were to delete them because I cannot delete those folders via Windows Explorer

Attempt 6: Trying to connect my iPhone to other display laptops at shopping mall. Just want to diagnose either my Iphone is a problem or my laptop is a problem. It turned out that those weird folders still exist in DCIM when I browse it through Windows Explorer. So I kind of made myself understand that my iPhone is a problem.

Attemp 6: Restore my iPhone via iTunes (USB Connected) and set it as a New Phone. Almost same like Attempt 3 except that restore process were done while my iPhone were connected to iTunes.

None of the above work. Quite frustrated the fact that datas are now gone and yet problem UNSOLVED.

I know it's quite a simple problem but quite annoying to find out that the DCIM folder is now not as perfectly as it used to be. Furthermore I hate those alphanumeric folders inside it where I can't either rename them or delete them. I attached below images as reference.

After reading comments from other users above, can I conclude that nothing is wrong with my laptop and nothing is wrong with pictures transfered made by Bob using above mentioned software?

Please APPLE... help me too! Thanks a million

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

When I plug my iPhone in, it shows the proper name on iTunes but the name of my girlfriends phone on Windows Explorer. How do I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.