Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Soft subtitles in videos app ios 5 is broken

In ios5 the soft subtitles are now in screen instead of under the screen. But there is also a fading behind it so you can see less of the movie which is annoying.

The big problem is when the subtitle is on more than one line, only the first line is shown, so you miss part of the text.

Can there be an option to put the subtitles back off screen, or turn at least the fading off.

iPad 2, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 12:46 PM

18 replies

Oct 31, 2011 12:36 AM in response to Rayzman

I'm also having trouble with soft subtitles on my ipod 4 with ios5...

they aren't even showing and unlike ios4 where it gave me the option to toggle on and off this functionality isn't even included. At least not for me...

I tried a complete restore deleting all settings and everything thinking that maybe something was wrong.

anyway I hope it's just ios related and that it will be fixed soon... otherwise does anyone know how to revert back to ios 4.3.5?

cheers any help would be greatly appreciated

Nov 4, 2011 8:09 AM in response to Rayzman

READ THIS CAREFULLY

In iOS5, the subtitles seem to give problems to many users. Although, I managed to set up soft subtitles on my iPad, which now views it in correct size on the screen AND on an external monitor.

Problems:

It seems that many soft-subtitle encoding applications don't handle things right. Applications involved: Handbrake (makes subtitle's second line dissapear) and iSubtitle (which makes the entire subtitle dissapear).

Solution:

I use a little application called Subler. It is easy to find on google. Download it, and find out how it works, because this is the way to do it.

Questions? Reply me on this forum.

Soft subtitles in videos app ios 5 is broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.