Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

activation iOS 5 iMessage iphone 3gs problem

I have an iphone 3gs and i upgraded to ios 5 successfully, but imessage won't work for me.

I cant manage to active imessage on my iphone 3gs

in the settings menu i go to messages, then i try to activate it but it says:

imessage activation - an error occurred during activation. try again.

and i try again over and over, but it doesnt work.

it tells me to sign in with my apple id to activate it and i do so, but it wont work.

i tried using different accounts and nothing works.

can anybody help me please?

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 7:25 PM

8 replies

Oct 19, 2011 8:59 AM in response to gaml

I just resolved my issue in activation of FaceTime and iMessage. Please follow the steps:

1. Turn off the iMessage and FaceTime.

2. If your tel # are not yet addeded to your contact list please do so. Make sure that you select iPhone not mobile.

3. Change your My Info(Settings>Mail,Contacts,Calendar>My Info) by selecting your created contact.

4. Go to Setting>Phone. Check if your number is reflected in My Number. Then turn on your Show My Caller ID and also the International Assist.

5. make sure that your apple ID are login in Store under Settings.

6. Once your done, close all apps using the double tapping of home button.

7. Hard reset your iPhone.

8. After your iPhone boot. Check if you have Internet connection and then turn on your FaceTime then iMessage.

9. Activate by logging in your apple ID.

10. Done and enjoy the features of IOS5.

Hope it will help you.

Mar 25, 2012 12:37 PM in response to gaml

Mine didn't work for 2 months and this fixed it, so I posted it in another discussion and have been getting "thank you" replies nearly daily:

Just update your date/time settings:

Settings

> General

>> Date & Time

>>> Set Automatically: Slide "ON"...If it's already on, then slide it off, chill for a bit (maybe restart it), then slide it back on.

I am using an iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1, but other users with 3GS, 4S, and even iTouch devices replied that it worked.

activation iOS 5 iMessage iphone 3gs problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.