Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does Cell Network Search do?

I noticed on both our iPads in settings>location services>system services that Cell Network Search is always running(has a purple triangle next to it.) This seems to be new with ios 5. I disabled this along with Setting Time Zone beacause they were preventing other apps from finding my current location through location services. Does anyone know what Cell Network Search actually does? I thought it might have something to do with 3G but my 3G is working fine with it disabled. It would be nice to know what this is! Thanks.

iPad 2, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 1:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 1:33 AM

Thx ram130. Interesting post. Looks like we are getting closer to answering this question. I still wish Apple would just publish what these system services do...especially cell network search!

29 replies

Oct 26, 2011 9:55 AM in response to Anthony J Howe

Thanks for answering my post Anthony. Much appreciated. However, your answer is a defintion of Location Services. Location Services uses cellular, Wi-Fi and GPS to determine location. System Services (settings>location services>system services) are services that use Location Services to achieve whatever task it is designed to do. For example, Setting Time Zone is a system service that uses Loacation Services to determine what time zone you are in. The link you sent states (it won't let me paste so I have to para phrase) that you can turn on and off apps and SYSTEM SERVICES that use locations services data! So Cell Network Search is a system service that uses location service data. Again, my question is what exactly is Cell Network Search and what does it do? I have not been able to find this answer in either Apple's literature or forums. Thanks again.

Oct 26, 2011 1:46 AM in response to Frozen1968

it trys to search your location whichever App is searching and it looks at

cellular, Wi-Fi, and Global Positioning System networks to determine your approximate location.

see this article.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4995

also some other information on the iOS 5 user guide on page 120.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/ipad_user_guide.pdf

Nov 11, 2011 1:40 AM in response to ram130

Have not really found a definitive answer yet. I was reading some threads and stumbled on a few possible answers. In one thread, someone stated that cell network search is used by the camera (in addition to wifi and gps) to determine your location for geo tagging Picts.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1267443

This does not ring true to me as location services has a camera option.

The other post I read (sorry I can't find the link for it) states that it keeps near by cell towers in memory so connection to the network will be quicker once in range. This would support what ram130 posted! So if this was the case, cell network search is a system service that uses part of lacation services (cellular) to keep a list of cell towers for quicker connection. Maybe.....it would be really nice if Apple would document what these system services do! Most are self explanatory but cell network search is not. Thx for your post ram130.

Nov 11, 2011 3:17 AM in response to Frozen1968

Sure no problem. I can say for a fact the camera usage is not true because I've only notice cell network search using location services once my phone tries to regain signal. In fact you can test it by enabling the status bar icon for system services and toggling airplane mode.

Anyway I think your right. I still need to do more testing to be sure though.

Nov 22, 2011 10:17 AM in response to Frozen1968

I think the cell network search is looking for the closest cell towers based on your location. I was traveling last week and my battery was dieing really fast, about 10% an hour with hardly any use. So i turned off cell network search and all 3g data and the problem went away. Now that im back home, i turned them both back on, but my battery seems to be dieng faster than when i left. I'm just wondering how necessary the cell network search is... I think i will turn it off for a while and see if my battery life improves. I live in a big city, so always finding the closest tower does not seem necessary to me. It might be a good thing for when you are driving around in rural areas though..

Nov 24, 2011 12:08 PM in response to slimypsartagus

Thx for your post slimpsartagus. What you are saying may fit in with our working theory. Because you were in a rural area that you don't normally go, perhaps Cell Network Search had to work harder to collect a list of nearby cell towers. Again, just a working theory as we have nothing official from Apple(at least not that I have seen.) I will say that many of the threads concerning Cell Network Search has to do with battery drainage. I enabled the locations services icon (at the bottom of the system services page) and noticed that Cell Network Search was always running. I eventually turned it off and did notice some improvement on my battery. Although that is helpful, it still does not explain what Cell Network Search actually does. When I disable something, I like to know what it is exactly. Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving.

Nov 29, 2011 10:00 AM in response to Frozen1968

Frozen,

I noticed a similar drain this past weekend and was showing it to a co-worker today. I found for me that my Location Services icon was on though no application was running. I assumed it was for System Services and proceeded to turn them off one by one until I found the two that were in use. First, Cell Network Search was on indefinitely. I have a 3G iPad 2 but have not activated the 3g service. I found that either turning this Location Service off, or turning on the Cellular Data on would help it "find" whatever it was looking for. Since I have no need to have Cellular Data enabled, I chose to turn off this location service.

The Setting Time Zone I left on and set the time zone manually under General / Date & Time. Since I do not travel that often outside of my time zone I figured setting it manually would be fine. I think for the frequent traveller, this would be annoying.

It is frustrating to have something like this suddenly start draining my battery. Another nuisance I found with this IOS update is my screen does not automatically lock as it should. I do not have a smart case (by choice) and I constantly find it on as though something is keeping that function from engaging much like a process stops the screensaver from starting on your PC. I believe these issues are related. Whatever is searching for an updated location is also keeping the system from locking as it believes the pad is in use.

I realize this is not answer to your question "What is Cell Network Search", it's at least an attempt to address choices for disabling these services.

Thanks for your post. I found this thread very helpful.

Nov 29, 2011 10:08 AM in response to Frozen1968

Frozen1968 wrote:

I noticed on both our iPads in settings>location services>system services that Cell Network Search is always running(has a purple triangle next to it.) This seems to be new with ios 5. I disabled this along with Setting Time Zone beacause they were preventing other apps from finding my current location through location services. Does anyone know what Cell Network Search actually does? I thought it might have something to do with 3G but my 3G is working fine with it disabled. It would be nice to know what this is! Thanks.

Cell Network Search is a location based service that sends your location information, and the tower ids of the network towers within range of (and thus detected by) your phone. It is used by Apple marketing (and whomever they choose to sell/share the database with) to determine patterns of cell useage, tower congestion and so on.

Those features in System Services are all about sending your location based information TO Apple, not about enabling features or services on your iPhone. This is Apple's way of allowing you to opt out of the collection of location based data that previously was done surriptiously without overtly letting you know or have any way to stop it.

You can disable every single feature in that section and your iPhone or iPad will continue to function exactly the same way it always has.

The only one that has anything to do with your use is the time zone feature, but you'd only actually need that one on IF you were outside of range of any cellular towers and wanted your time zone set by your GPS location. If you turn it off, but leave the time&date setting on "automatic" then your time zone will be determined by the time signal received from the wireless towers your device connects to.

Nov 29, 2011 4:47 PM in response to Michael Black

Hey Michael. Thx for taking the time to post on this thread. I am glad this thread has gained some traction. I wanted to ask you how you know what you stated about Cell Network Search? Is this something you read somewhere(if so please share it) or is this a theory? If it is a theory that Cell Network Search sends location and network towers IDs back to apple its definitely possible. However, it is just as plausible as our working theory that Cell Network Search is a System Service that uses Location Services to collect a list of recent and nearby towers to make connection to a network quicker. Both are plausible, but we have yet to have anything which confirms this. So if you know where you got this information, please let us know.

Also, I respectfully disagree that ALL system services only send info back to Apple with the exception of Setting Time Zone. For example, Compass Calibration is a System Service that does not seem to send info back to Apple and yet would affect how your iphone/ipad behave. Traffic is another example of this. So I don't think that the only purpose of these System Services is to send info back to Apple. Again, I am just guessing here because we have yet to see any real documentation concerning what exactly these System Services do! Therefore we are relying on our common sense which is why I think we need to be precise in what we are talking about.

Again, thank you for taking the time and please let me know if I am off base. I am just trying to stay on point with this thread and make sure we are making sense.

PS-was at Apple Store yesterday buying an ipad for my son and decided to take a stab and ask the guy helping me what Cell Network Search was. He had NO idea! OH Well....it was worth a try!

What does Cell Network Search do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.