Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm missing the microphone icon for voice dictation on iPhone 4s

I'm missing the microphone icon for voice dictation on iPhone 4s. Everywhere I read it's says, to use voice dictation just press the microphone icon.

I seem to be missing one. Siri is activated and works fine.

Thank you

iPhone 4S, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 6:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 6:19 AM

Try a reboot, hold power and home till the apple logo appears. If that doesn't get it restore as a new phone. Do not use a back up to get your stuff back. Back up any data specific to apps that let you do that and have a restore feature though. It's a pain but it usually cure weird stuff like that. Had to do it with my new 4s. The photo and camera system locked up.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2011 6:19 AM in response to madrod

Try a reboot, hold power and home till the apple logo appears. If that doesn't get it restore as a new phone. Do not use a back up to get your stuff back. Back up any data specific to apps that let you do that and have a restore feature though. It's a pain but it usually cure weird stuff like that. Had to do it with my new 4s. The photo and camera system locked up.

Jan 20, 2012 5:36 PM in response to madrod

Just as an add on to this thread. To see the microphone icon as Madrod suggested:

you need to select an aditional keyboard,

A keyboard in a language that supports Siri but also the keyboard selected must be the language you have defaulted for Siri. My Siri is in english so when I use my keyboard in french or portuguese Siri will not be there to support me. If Siri is defaulted to french, it will not be there to support me in english. Thanks Madrod for pointing me into the right direction.

I'm missing the microphone icon for voice dictation on iPhone 4s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.