Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad vs laptop for school assignments, is it like a computer

i need a new laptop, and i am just about to start uni. ive herd people say that an ipad is like a computer, can u use word and all those kind of programs on the ipad 2.

what would be better Ipad 2 or laptop????

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 10:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 10:45 PM

Honestly, it depends on how you're going to use. Are you going to use the iPad 2 to take notes in class? Because if you are that's just not going to work I don't think. If you were to use your iPad 2 in class you'd have to bring a keyboard, unless you can type very fast on the touchscreen, which I think is difficult to do.

I used my iPad 2 to type up some stuff and the response is a little slow sometimes so if you need to type fast, again, I wouldn't recommend it.

The iPad 2 is great for leisurely typing, if you're not in a rush, and other awesome stuff. Not sure I'd use it as your only computer in college though. Although, there's always the library computers..

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2011 10:45 PM in response to taraeve

Honestly, it depends on how you're going to use. Are you going to use the iPad 2 to take notes in class? Because if you are that's just not going to work I don't think. If you were to use your iPad 2 in class you'd have to bring a keyboard, unless you can type very fast on the touchscreen, which I think is difficult to do.

I used my iPad 2 to type up some stuff and the response is a little slow sometimes so if you need to type fast, again, I wouldn't recommend it.

The iPad 2 is great for leisurely typing, if you're not in a rush, and other awesome stuff. Not sure I'd use it as your only computer in college though. Although, there's always the library computers..

Oct 27, 2011 10:47 PM in response to taraeve

You can't use Word itself as Microsoft haven't made an app version of it - you can only install apps that are available in the iTunes app store on your computer or the App Store app on the iPad. There are quite a few office type apps in the store e.g. Pages and Numbers from Apple, and Documents To Go and QuickOffice HD from third-parties. They won't be as sophisticated as office program's that you find on a computer, and if you want to do a lot of typing then you'll probably need an external keyboard for the iPad. If you need to complex things in Word or Excel then a laptop might be better as you might not have the functions that you need on an iPad's app. Do you know anybody with an iPad so that you can have a 'play' with it so as to give yourself an idea as to whether you think it might be suitable ?

But personally I'd go for a laptop

Oct 28, 2011 12:53 AM in response to taraeve

As others have mentioned, the touch-screen on the iPad just doesn't cut it as a keyboard for extensive typing, which I'm assuming university assignments and note-taking would involve. The iPad for all it's funtionality is primarily a media toy. It is great for games, netsurfing, videos on YouTube, listening to music and watching movies. Most productivity applications will be easier to use on a laptop, using Mac's OSX instead of the operating system on the iPad, which is the iOS 5. Also, handling documents and folders is easier on a laptop. I would recommend a MacBook, but get a smallish one, because for school, portability is a big concern. I have a 17" MacBook Pro, and honestly, I wish I had the 15". I don't really take it out very much because it's just too big and heavy to lug around. It's a great computer though, and other than it's size, I'm very happy with it. Good luck, and study hard!

Oct 28, 2011 5:44 AM in response to taraeve

if you buy the iPad and a portfolio keyboard, like what Zagg has, then it might serve. That said, it won't be as user friendly for all you may need to do for school. If there are programs you need to run there likely won't be an app version.

I'd get a low end laptop for less than 500 dollars and save the iPad for a graduation gift to myself 🙂

The laptop won't be as flashy and 'cool' but it will be more functional for what you need.

as to word, you can possibly find cheap copies for students (legal copies with reduced prices for the Academic version), or there is 'open office' which is a fully operational office/word program, but free.

Oct 28, 2011 6:59 AM in response to taraeve

As much as i like the pad, it is not a substitute. Like others have already said, if you need this to get by in school, get a cheap laptop.

You will likely need the convenience of a full keyboard.

You will like want to swap files with peers

You will likely need to print to whatever available printer you can find.

You have a fair likelyhood of theft. A low end laptop is a lessor target than a pad. And you wont feel as bad when it happens.

You have afair likelyhood of beer spilling on your device. You will hate your firen less if its is a low end laptop than a pad.

A low end laptop will cost less than the pad plus accessories you would need.

Oct 28, 2011 9:24 AM in response to taraeve

I have a ipad2 and the wireless keyboard that I got for it and a 13in MacBook air personally I'd probably get by with just the iPad but it's more convenient and comfortable to just take the air with me if I need to take notes or write a paper instead of taking iPad and the keyboard with me , so in one way you should get the iPad because of all the educational apps available and it's ease of use , but in another you should get a laptop , but if you're going to get a iPad get the keyboard too.

Oct 28, 2011 10:12 PM in response to taraeve

You definitely need a laptop. The iPad is good for consuming media (e.g. Reading an ebook, reading your emails and sending short replys) but not great for generating and sharing media. Even the word processing apps do not have all the features that your Microsoft office has, so that will make it hard for you to collaborate with other students.

ipad vs laptop for school assignments, is it like a computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.