Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone 4 stolen!!!

Find my iPhone is worthless if they turn the iPhone off and remove SIM!

I have the IMEI# 1012337009207020 and ATT says that they can see that nobody has put a new SIM in it yet.

So I say OK as soon as someone does you will let me know and we can get them?

She says NO they cannot give me the info.

This is stupid! It's like a person stealing a car with you VIN number (IMEI) and putting their license plate (SIM) on it and now its theirs and even though the DMV can see that it was stolen they wont do anything?

ATT *****!

Doesn't Verizon and Sprint have a method of flagging a stolen or lost iPhone?

iPhone 4, iOS 5, IMEI# 1012337009207020

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 7:02 AM

8 replies

Oct 28, 2011 7:16 AM in response to Community User

Sprint and Verizon don't use SIM cards, so you wouldn't have an issue with that. It's an advantage of CDMA phones when it comes to theft.

Keep trying to find it. If it comes onto a WIFI network it will be visible, unless it's been wiped clean already. Sorry to say it, but at this point your best bet is to do a remote wipe and start saving for a new iPhone. It's doubtful you'll get it back. If someone removed the SIM they probably wiped it already. Hopefully you had a passcode set.

Sorry man.

Oct 28, 2011 7:28 AM in response to robogobo

Looks like I might just change our family to Verizon. We all have iPhone 4 phone . Well all but one of us know.

Sell them all on craigslist and boot att to the curb.

Oct 28, 2011 8:26 AM in response to Community User

Out of curiosity, how was it stolen? Did you leave it visible in your car or unattended at a restaurant/bar? Did someone rob/mug you for it? Maybe you can help others from having the same happen to them by sheding more light on the circumstances?

Apple phones DO have a reputation for being taken from bars- at least for prototypes. (Which, btw, I think would make a terrific commercial!)

If you've got homeowner's insurance or rental insurance, you might take a close look at your policy and see if you may have a claim.

Oct 28, 2011 8:42 AM in response to Community User

Hubbards wrote:

This is stupid! It's like a person stealing a car with you VIN number (IMEI) and putting their license plate (SIM) on it and now its theirs and even though the DMV can see that it was stolen they wont do anything?

I think your analogy is flawed. The government does not regulate the registration and licensing of cell phones. And no car dealership handles tracking and reporting a stolen car. The only reason the DMV and the police cooperate to track and identify stolen cars is that one is a law enforcement agency, and the other is a government regulatory agency responsible for the licensing and legal authorization for someone operate the device.

Your cell phone is a non-regulated consumer electronics device (non-regulated in the sense that you do not need the governments permission to own nor operate one), sold to you by a corporation, with service provided also by a corporation. Corporations are not in the business of law enforcement (nor should they EVER be, IMO). How is AT&T to know that someone reporting a stolen phone is not just a disgruntled spouse who is ticked off that their ex got the phone in a separation, or that it was sold, but the seller is now ticked off about the price they got?

I just think it is asking way too much to expect a cell phone company to act as a law enforcement or personal protection agency. You should report the theft to the police, and if eligible, take the police report to your insurance company to see if you can get a replacement covered. But the phone company, nor Apple, has any role to play in this kind of thing and I for one would not want to see them start taking on such a role. The last thing I want is corporations playing cop, or acting like big brother conducting covert surveillance.

Oct 28, 2011 8:44 AM in response to Robert Grandmaison

I doubt my daughter was at a bar. It was stolen while she was at school

BTW how can I delete this posting?

Most people just have sarcastic ******** comments!

**** most people wont say to another person face to face.

Or face a beat down.

IPhone 4 stolen!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.