Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does siri only work if i have internet connection?

SIRI IN IPHONE 4S ONLY WORKS WHEN I HAVE INTERNET CONNECTION. I WOULD I NEED AN INTERNET CONNCTION TO ASK SIRI TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT ON MY CALENDER 😟

iPhone 4S

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 10:02 AM

75 replies

Apr 24, 2017 9:12 AM in response to kilgrey

The problem with Siri is that it was a novel idea that rapidly became the laughing stock of voice recognition. The other VR options learn from experience with you. Siri does not. I can enter a contact and I have to spell that person's name weird in MY contacts so Siri can understand me. The convenience of Siri is completely lost when you have to modify your phone/lifestyle to make it work.

I can't enter any contacts with the name 'Bryan' or Brian' because that's my name and Siri will dial ME when I say 'Call Bryan'. I have to enter those contacts with names that don't sound like mine (Brooma, Bruff and Brigo are the closest versions Siri won't think or me) and then I have to remember which Bryan/Brian got which nickname. Not very convenient.

Heck, even if I've got a business in my contact list, Siri will look for the business number on the internet. If my sales rep for that business (and their direct number) are entered into my contacts, Siri will still look up the number online (the general front desk number). I have to change the contact to NOT be a business or put in my rep's name just so I can dial the number directly to them. Even calling my own mother has to be done by her first name. Siri can't recognize 'Mom' or 'Mother' because we live in a town with businesses containing 'Mom' or 'Mother' in their titles. Not very convenient.

As a workaround, I was told to say Siri "dial [person/company] from my contact list". Know what I got when I tried that? I got Siri asking me if I wanted to call a Contacts & Eyeglass store here in town. Not really convenient to pull over while you're driving to manually dial someone because Siri insists on checking the internet for a number you already have in your contact list.

I think Siri was neat at first, but the 'features' they've added since it was first released have made it a really inconvenient product that markets itself as handy and convenient.

...and If you all think you've got it rough, try using Siri when you've got a southern accent! My co-worker from Georgia traded his 1-week-old iPhone for an Android because of Siri's inability to understand ANYTHING he was saying.

Oct 31, 2011 10:05 AM in response to faisalfromspringfield gardens

Siri requires processing power, for both the speech and natural-language recognition as well as doing some of the location lookup and processing, well in excess of what any phone can provide. Hence the need for an Internet connection, so your iPhone can connect to the servers Apple uses for doing this processing.

Regards.

Forum Tip: It is generally considered inappropriate to type all in uppercase letters in Internet discussions, as text that is typed all in uppercase is by convention considered to be shouting. Uppercase is also more difficult to read, so please use all uppercase sparingly and only when you really mean to shout, which we hope you won’t need to do here . 🙂

Oct 31, 2011 10:11 AM in response to faisalfromspringfield gardens

Of course Siri needs Internet connection. It needs to send your info to apples servers, which are the ones giving Siri the answers to tell you. Siri would not know whether you are talking crap to it, like Siri you suck a lot, etc or if you are doing something useful like setting reminders, calendar events, texting,etc. the only way it finds out is by sending your speech to apples smart servers which will then generate answers for you. Also, siri can be used for anything like searching the web etc which need an internet connection to do. So siri has to have an internet connection; it doesnt know if you are doing something offline or, in a way, online. Hope this info helps? (;

Jan 3, 2012 3:18 PM in response to No1Sniper

No1Sniper wrote:

I do apologise for the foul language and I do understand now how it works but yet still, Siri should be able to operate without Internet. You know it's an issue and you just don't admit it.

The iPhone does not have the proccessing power to required for Natural Language Processing at this time. I think you underestimate just what that requires.

Jan 3, 2012 3:28 PM in response to No1Sniper

No1Sniper wrote:

I think that's what apple whants, ppl opinions on there product to improve.

Thank you again

Actually, this is a tech support forum. Apple's participation here is extremely limited. If you want to make suggestions to Apple for product improvements, use the appropriate link on the Feedback page:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Best of luck.

why does siri only work if i have internet connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.