Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S drains battery while plugged in to charger?

I find that when i plug my phone in over night it fills up to 100% but after an hour or two of sitting on the charger @100% it begins to drop to about 93-94%,
The icon on the battery is the plug throughout this ordeal. I have to unplug and plug back in the charger to lift its spirits back to 100%

16gb Black iPhone 4S

Rogers Wireless

IOS 5.0.0

Is anyone else experiencing this?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 5:56 PM

Two things can cause this. I know when I used to charge my iphone when using it as a GPS, once charging was complete it would not start again until I unplugged it and replugged it back in even though the battery was draining. Also, if you are using push with MS exchange, that will also drain the battery faster than the charge depending on amount of email and contacts.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2011 5:56 PM in response to Burfitt

Two things can cause this. I know when I used to charge my iphone when using it as a GPS, once charging was complete it would not start again until I unplugged it and replugged it back in even though the battery was draining. Also, if you are using push with MS exchange, that will also drain the battery faster than the charge depending on amount of email and contacts.

Nov 17, 2011 4:20 AM in response to Burfitt

I have nothing positive to add but I would like to acknoledge that my iPhone 4s seems to have the same quirky charging pattern.... To me, as a computer programmer, this seems like a software defect that should be addressed. Hopefully if enough of us talk about this issue it will eventually catch the watchful eye of the moderator and eventually work its way back to the developers for review.

Nov 17, 2011 4:56 AM in response to Burfitt

I've been experiencing the same thing with a 4s and both ios5 and 5.0.1.

Plugged the phone in overnight, wake up with 100% charge and plug indicator in the battery. While leaving it plugged in I check a couple of emails, maybe about 3 minutes and the percentage drop to about 96% ( but still has the plug symbol in the battery). If I unplug and plug the phone back in the lightning bolt then appears in the battery and charges back up to 100% fairly quickly (about 10 minutes).

Very weird.

Dec 16, 2011 9:47 PM in response to Burfitt

Same problem as well.

Been having problems with super fast draining battery from day 1 of getting the phone.

Switched off a lot of the iCloud services, notification, raise to use Siri, bluetooth off, and whatever I could turn off.

Have it plugged into the wall. It hit 100% went to bed, when I woke up it was at 93% and wouldn't go higher.

Unplugged it and plugged it back in an it's going back up now.

I don't know how it could go to 100 then drop to 93.

On 5.0.1 , white 4S 64gb on Vodafone Qatar

Dec 23, 2011 5:51 AM in response to Burfitt

I have seen something a little more odd and cannot pinpopint it. I charge every night and phone reaches 100% pretty quickly. During the night if I wake up I look and its still at 100%. Now I I have noticed on several occations prior to 7:00am maybe 6:45 if I happen to look its still at 100% but sometime between 7:00 and 7:15 every day, when I look again its dropped to 97% or so. I can unplug and plug back in, hop in shower and by time I am ready for the day its back to 100%. So at about that time daily it drops 3% within 15 to 30 minutes. Many times just before 7 I have seen it at 100% then drop to 97% within a short time. Backup typically runs at 11:00pm or so so its not backing up at that time. Cant quite grasp what its doing at that same time every day to drop. Rest of day it seems to be ok and I have decent battery life.

[edit] Same deal every day but this morning I looked before 7 and was at 100% then about 7:15 97% just like every day. But usage/standby both show 0. My battery seems to work fine typically 15-16 hr standby and 2-3 hrs use and maybe 45% to 50% remaining. But this strange percentage drain reporting ONLY between 6:50 and 7:15 every day while plugged in is really odd.

Mar 13, 2012 1:34 PM in response to Burfitt

This was happening to me, but this is what is happening.

Your phone is recognizing it's fully charged, so the charge is reduced to nothing but a trickle charge. It displays 100% and the plug if it is fully charged. If your phone recognizes that it is not fully charged, again, it will still display 100% but the lightning bolt will be displayed, thus showing the phone is charging.

Also, you can tell by on your lock screen when the phone is charging, the big green battery icon is not completely full when the bolt is displayed. If you wait until you see the plug in the battery again, and you see that the big green battery on the lock screen is completely full, unplug your phone and you will see that it stays at 100%.

I had this problem before and realize now that this is a design of the battery, not a defect. Good luck.

Mar 13, 2012 1:38 PM in response to jlb87

Forgot to add something. Since it's a trickle charge, it will start charging back up to 100% if you're using the phone while its plugged in. This is why it shows 99, 98, and 97% on unplug. You aren't letting it charge back up to where you see the plug in the battery. Just wait for that, and as I said, check the big green battery on the lock screen for a completely full battery, and you should be just fine.

iPhone 4S drains battery while plugged in to charger?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.