Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I get a 4S or a Nexus? (GPS, MP3 player, Theft Safety)

Hey all,

I was pretty set on getting on a 4S after the loss of my touch by theft, but I am interested in the Nexus after finding out that you can carry around a battery and just change it. I know that you can plug a portable battery into iPod touches and iPhones, but I hate that it blocks the thing you plug headphones into (I'm a music lover) and that it's generally hard to deal with, and drains QUICKLY.

I have some q's though maybe someone will know--

1) Does having a changable battery make it less secure in case of theft? I think I heard if you get a Verizon iPhone, you can have that find my iPhone thing working even if the phone is turned off, and have power over that somehow, so I'm wondering if I would lose that if I had a phone with a changable battery?

2) Have most Androids been historically ok MP3 players as far as sound quality goes? I know no smart phone is what you call "audiophile friendly" but I found the iTouch very listenable, at least, with high quality earbuds. I will be using it as my only MP3 player.

3) My only other thing that's really important is pedestrian/public transport GPS (I get lost a lot and am bad w/maps, even in my own city, yes). iPhone users, have you had any issues with that?

Thanks all

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 6:54 AM

6 replies

Nov 7, 2011 7:02 AM in response to Bear HunterX

1) You cannot track a phone that is off. There is no fool proof way to track a stolen phone.

2) Why are you asking questions about Androids on an iphone forum? Maybe you should ask those questions on an Ansroid forum.

3) You can get any number of navigation apps or use the map app with the iphone.

The headphone jack is on the opposite end of the iphone from the dock connector. How would the battery cover the headphone jack?

Nov 7, 2011 7:13 AM in response to roaminggnome

Some of the posts here seem to indicate that you can keep it on even if it's off...

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/index.../t-1108134.html

"

Eric374

Mar 4, 2011, 09:05 AM

Turning the phone off doesn't disable the Find my iPhone. I've lost mine before, and once you open the program from a computer or wherever, you have the ability to turn the phone on/off at your choosing in order to help locate it. You guys seem to be forgetting this and assuming that turning the phone off while the SIM is still inside leaves the thief with the upper hand. If the thief takes the SIM out, you're screwed...but hopefully the thief would try to disable the program or turn the phone off so you have a little bit of time before it's too late.

Advantage: CDMA."

EDIT: Maybe I completely misunderstood this, I haven't slept in a while, sorry. im not sure what im even reading now o_o

Re: Why I'm asking about Android here, this is just one of the most active smartphone forums

I do know about the navigation apps cos I had some on my touch, though obvs they weren't too useful because a touch has no GPS. I don't know if there is a difference between the navigation of iPhone and Android apart not having all the same apps.

And thanks for the info on the battery and sound jack being on opposite sides on the iPhone-- I assumed they were on the same side because they're on the same side on the touch.

Nov 7, 2011 7:16 AM in response to Bear HunterX

Buy whatever else you want but don't get this phone 4s... I am sick and tired of this nonsense, the update is coming , coming and the freakin phoen gets hot at the back side of the case and the battery is good either. Called apple and again they are saying that we are waiting for the update and it should solve the problem. It's almost a month i am usign this crappy battery life and now this new back case hot issue. What if my phone is already damaged by the time update comes out and it fixes the battery drain problem but the physical damage duw to warming up of battery will still be there and then apple will say oh it's fixed we cant do anything abt it.********. I am done with this firm. All my hopes about good customer service and good products is gone to drain. Better to own a nokia than this piece of ****.

Should I get a 4S or a Nexus? (GPS, MP3 player, Theft Safety)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.