Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does the iPhone 4S zoom in when recording video?

This is kind of hard to describe - when the camera app is in video mode, the camera image appears more "zoomed in" than it is when the camera app is in photo mode. Here is an image to show you what I mean: http://i.imgur.com/JUosA.jpg

The image is of the phone held in the exact same place, just in photo and video mode. Notice how in video mode the image appears more zoomed in. Why is this? Even after double-tapping the video viewfinder to zoom out, it's still zoomed in compared to when in photo mode. Maybe this is for image stabilization?

Here is another example, with the video viewfinder overlayed on the photo viewfinder to show the obvious zooming: http://i.imgur.com/BSguL.jpg

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 7:18 PM

8 replies

Nov 18, 2011 11:26 AM in response to Huskehn

It's for a combination of reasons. The sensor has an aspect ratio (width to height) of 4:3. Video is shot at 16:9, so it doesn't use all the height available on the sensor. Also, when shooting video, there is a border of pixels set aside for the electronic image stabilization. The combination of the two results in two different apparent zoom factors comparing stills to video.

Nov 23, 2011 8:57 AM in response to BSteely

OK, how about a related extension to the zoom question. Before using my iPhone 4S for taking video of youth hockey games in various small hockey arenas, I used a fixed focus Contour HD 1080 p camera. Some arenas have a netting between the ice surface and the spectators and the ice surface. Cameras with auto zoom tend to focus on the netting rather than the players on the ice. I noticed a similar near by focus problem when shooting video with my iPhone 4S in that the camera auto zoom focussed in the scratches and smears on the plexiglass ( below the netting) so that the players were blurred. I discovered, belatedly that I could fix the focus by holding my finger down on the view finder till the focus rectangle stopped jumping. Is there a strategy for locking the camera into a fixed focus mode that seems to work out OK for the Contour camera?

Why does the iPhone 4S zoom in when recording video?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.