Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the Verizon iPhone 4 video chat via FaceTime or Skype over 3G?

Hello Apple community. I'm new here and I have a question about the iPhone 4 in regards to video chatting over 3G. Verizon's 3G network is slower than AT&T's 3G network and I know there were talks before about Verizon not letting video chatting happen over 3G, but limited to Wi-Fi only.

My Father is a truck driver and he has relatives overseas that he likes to Skype with. Verizon has the best coverage over the U.S., but it's 3G is slower than AT&T's. Now, I know that I can video chat with Skype on my HTC Thunderbolt over 3G with Verizon, but I really don't want my Dad to have to learn Android. I think the iPhone would be better for him, assuming that there is some app that allow him to video chat with relatives. Now it doesn't have to be Skype, anything that can relay video between the iPhone and a PC/Mac/iPod Touch will be just fine, my main concern is that if my dad has pulled over at a truckstop, for the night, will he be able to video chat with just the iPhone without needing wi-fi.

I've tried looking up this info and I get scattered reports. Like Skype saying that video chat works over 3G (but it is talking about AT&T), or saying that certain Verizon Android phones can video chat over 3G.

Again, it doesn't have to be Skype, but as long as it works over 3G and isn't strictly phone to phone video app.

Thank you in advance.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 9:45 PM

1 reply

Can the Verizon iPhone 4 video chat via FaceTime or Skype over 3G?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.