Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't iPad support Java...I use real time charts while trading and many of them require Java plug--in. This is such a disappointment as is not being able to use Silverlight for some of them?

See question above in subject line.

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 2:45 PM

5 replies

Nov 18, 2011 2:55 PM in response to Trimilove

I believe its due to a number of reasons. Firstly theres a number of security issues surrounding Flash, Google Apple / Adobe Flash wars for more info.

Then theres the fact that Apple makes billions for selling gaming apps through its app store. If it allowed Java, everyone would just play free Java games from websites through the browser, meaning Apple would loose control of a nice revenue stream.

Nov 18, 2011 3:03 PM in response to Trimilove

Frankly, applets are really Web 0.5+. Time to jump up a few versions 😉

This is a case where a mobile app would work much better than a web app trying to be more than a stateless display.

There are professional trading (equity) apps out there that work on IOS devices (not too many, because unfortunately WallStree took a long detour through Dot Net gultch).

You might search "Reuters" or "Bloomberg" in the app store or try something else.

Nov 18, 2011 3:05 PM in response to thomcooper

thomcooper wrote:

Then theres the fact that Apple makes billions for selling gaming apps through its app store. If it allowed Java, everyone would just play free Java games from websites through the browser, meaning Apple would loose control of a nice revenue stream.

AFAIK, they are break-even on iTunes/Apps Store.

There tons and tons of free games available in the iTunes/Apps Store so why do I have to get free java games?

Google Thoughts on Flash by SJ. that is also valid for Silverlight and Java.

Why doesn't iPad support Java...I use real time charts while trading and many of them require Java plug--in. This is such a disappointment as is not being able to use Silverlight for some of them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.