Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplane Mode vs. Turning Cellular Data Off?

What is the difference between setting the iPhone 4 to Airplane Mode verse Turning Cellular Data Off? (Also Airplace Mode verse turning off all 3 (Data Roaming/Cellular Data/Enable 3G)?)

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 1:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 1:17 PM

It depends on whether or not you intend to use the phone to make and receive calls. If you don't, Airplane mode with WiFi is probably your best bet. You can be certain you won't use any expensive 3G data. Keep in mind, there is very little free WiFi available in Japan.

If you plan on making calls, turn of Data and Data roaming.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2011 1:17 PM in response to PerryLewis

It depends on whether or not you intend to use the phone to make and receive calls. If you don't, Airplane mode with WiFi is probably your best bet. You can be certain you won't use any expensive 3G data. Keep in mind, there is very little free WiFi available in Japan.

If you plan on making calls, turn of Data and Data roaming.

Nov 25, 2011 1:10 PM in response to PerryLewis

I'm traveling to Tokyo, I just want to use as much of my phone as possible without buying any services or being charged any fees. So I was wondering is it better to Turn on Airplane Mode and enable Wifi? Or to turn off Cellular Data, Enable 3G, and Data Roaming?

Better way of putting it, what services can I get in Tokyo (or any foreign location) without paying for extra service or being charged fees and what's the best way to do that?

Airplane Mode vs. Turning Cellular Data Off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.