Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 constantly shows No Service

My iPhone 4 with ios5.0.1 always show 'No Service'. Sometimes it happened once a day, but sometimes 5 times a day. What I did was that I enabled the 'Airplane' mode and disabled it again, I will then see full bar of reception but the carrier's name (in my case is Maxis) didn't appear. I was unable to make call/ receive call. When others call me, they heard the normal ring tone, however, my phone won't ring.

In order to get back the reception, I have to restart my phone.

Has anyone experienced it? I have tried googled, some said it could be due to firmware, some said it's hardware, some said it's carrier. Hope someone can advise.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 2:57 AM

76 replies

Nov 26, 2011 4:13 AM in response to sparklesj

The same happens here (in Portugal) with my iPhone 4 since I upgrade to iOS 5... and the update for iOS 5.0.1 did not solve the problem...

After it loses the signal from the carrier, it is looking for the carrier signal indefinitely...

People call me, they hear the ringing tone, but I get no sign, no SMS, nothing...

To solve the problem I have to restart the phone...

Begins to be too frustrating...

There is no solution???

Sincerely,

Paulo

Nov 29, 2011 12:59 AM in response to sparklesj

I called up the service provider, Maxis, to report the problem. They couldn't advise much but they reset my network settings from their end and I reset my phone's network settings too. Then, for 2 days, my phone had no downtime. But it happened again just now. Then I enabled and disabled Network > Cellular Data of my phone, then I got back the service.

Can anyone advise on what the root cause is? I have to check my phone constantly to make sure that it has reception, else i won't be able to receive calls.

Dec 1, 2011 10:03 PM in response to sparklesj

Hi,

I am facing the same issue like you & the service provider Maxis advise to re-install the software. I did but the phone wr as working about 10 days then the problem happen again. I never knew that enable & disable network can help. What I did is do hard reset failed then proceed to factory reset then it works. Dont know what is the root cause. At least now I knew has this quick fix..

Dec 1, 2011 10:25 PM in response to sparklesj

I used to do a restart on the phone to get back the service but I was just trying my luck by enabling and disabling the Cellular Data and it happened to work. Not sure if it still works the next time it happens.

However, I can't find out the root cause of this (firmware / hardware / Maxis), and I have to check my phone every now and then to make sure that it has service.

As you can see, Maxis advised us differently. They advised you to re-install the software while they reset the network settings for me.

Dec 2, 2011 1:02 AM in response to sparklesj

Yes I do agree Maxis also dont know what is happening. Pretty sure is software bug as before the upgrade the phone is working fine all time. Just to share how I discover the problem. I will turn on the airplane mode every night when go to sleep & off on the next morning. The problem occurred when the phone show no service when the airplane mode is turn off. I may chose not to turn on airplane mode now to see whether the problem will be re-occurring

Dec 2, 2011 7:39 AM in response to sparklesj

I m using iOS 5.0.1 also. My scenario was when shown no service I hv to restart the phone and full bar with maxis appeared. At this point when called the other party phone will ring but I unable to hear any dial tone at all and also unable to end call. Further when other call me they will hear normal dial tone but my phone no response just idling. SMS also same system shown MSG no sent but actually is sent.pretty sure something running behind the scene as the % of battery drop drastically during this period of time

iPhone 4 constantly shows No Service

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.