Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activate unlocked iPhone 4S through iTunes without micro SIM card?

Bought unlocked iPhone 4S from Apple for extra $$$$$.

Don't need expensive 2 year contracts for my very infrequent cell/data use.

Cheaper this way in the long run, and mostly use local Wi-fi anyway. Faster.

Would LOVE to go with AT&T, but they just don't offer a plan that fits my infrequent use, such as a Go-Phone plan or pre-paid or something. Don't need to burn $$$ for something I won't use very often.

Meanwhile, as I'm looking for another carrier plan over the next couple of weeks, is there a way to activate my new 4S without a micro SIM, so I can set it up and check it out (make sure its all working correctly, camera etc.?}

Most info found on net so far is not that useful. All the "activate without a SIM" suggestions require a SIM?!?

Also, any suggestions for other carriers would be greatly appreciated (in Texas) (T-Mobile?}

Thanks!

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 11:08 AM

You can't activate any iPhone without a sim card installed. If you want to activate your phone, you have no choice but to get an AT&T or T-Mobile sim. You can borrow one from a friend, but bottom line, you need a sim card.

9 replies

Nov 27, 2011 12:03 PM in response to Ward Maurer

Actually have a new, unused T-Mobile SIM card (bought off a friend, she needed the money) that I can cut down to micro, but I had too many questions about this approach.

Such as:

- if I use this temporary sim, have to re-activate when I get new sim on newly selected plan?

- assigned telephone number stored on phone or sim? Second new sim assign new phone number?

- appear to be different types (memory sizes, etc) and versions of regular and micro-sims.

Some more compatible than others, as suggested in forums.

- downsides/gotchas doing this? Almost always gotchas. Don't want to damage new UNLOCKED $$$ phone.

This kind of info is sparse and might be useful to many people, and it could be MUCH easier. Apple? AT&T et al?

Thanks!

Nov 27, 2011 12:08 PM in response to Ward Maurer

Since your phone is officially unlocked, you can use any valid sim to activate your phone. Why don't you just go to a T-Mobile store(they sell micro sims), get a new micro sim & activate your phone. That way there won't be any "gotchas". I'd send you to an AT&T store, but they will want you to sign a contract...T-Mobile won't, & you can use a pay-as-you-go sim.

Feb 17, 2012 9:29 AM in response to Ward Maurer

I know this post is from a while back, but I'm in the same boat and have an additional question...

If you have an unlocked phone, all you need to do is insert any microsim card, and it will activate? Or do I need to have purchased some sort of service for the sim card before it will activate?

I'm just wondering because my current prepaid plan doesn't expire for 3 more weeks, so I can't officially use my iPhone before then, but I'd still like to mess around with it a bit!

Thanks for any help!

Nov 7, 2013 5:40 PM in response to Ward Maurer

I have the exact same issue. AT&T swear up and down that the phone is unlocked. My status on their unlock site says the same but it won't activate with a t-mobile sim in it. It keeps giving me the message about unsupported sim on the activation server. I too have restored the phone 3 or 4 times now via iTunes. Done it empty, with a blank AT&T sim, a blank t-mobile sim and an operational t-mobile sim. Nothing works. AT&T say they can't help any more because all their systems say it's unlocked. This shouldn't be this ****** difficult. Why can't we just have a proper unlock code like any normal gsm phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.