Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone had a battery drop from 100% to 97% while plugged in, then will not charge until unplugged and plugged back in?

iPhone 4s 32Gb black on Orange uk. Clean install of iOS 5.0.1.

I was using my 4s to do a brief text, when it suddenly dropped from 100% battery to 97% and was still showing it was plugged in. It would not charge until I unplugged it (mains power, all original charging equipment) it then took about 10 minutes to fully charge to 100%. Has anyone else had this issue, if so is it a software or hardware issue?

Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Sean.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5, 32Gb

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 6:32 AM

6 replies

Dec 12, 2011 7:25 AM in response to sean-g11

Sean,

There is another thread here that I was reading yesterday... it doesn't seem to be unique to you but the iPhone 4S in general.

I don't know why Apple decided to handle the battery charging in this fashion but then who ever knows why Apple does what they do. They make the N.S.A look like an open book library with their "Secretive Tweaks".

My guess is it is a designed in "Feature". One would think that the most effective method would be to charge to 100% and then turn off the charging and run from the charger module until it is unplugged thus leaving you with a 100% battery even if the phone was left on the charger for 24 hours (idle or in use).

L-ion Polymer batteries don't like to be fully charged and just left sitting for long periods of time with that battery at 100%. Assuming my comment is true you can find on the Apple support site a comment about the best way to take care of you iPhone battery is to "Keep the electrons moving" be it charging or discharging. (and while that is a bit of a paraphrase it is what they say).

I don't have a link to the other thread on this topic but I remember someone saying that the charger will not auto restart until you unplug/re-plug or the battery falls below 91% - but don't take my word for that little tid-bit.

PS - I was reading the other thread on this subject just yesterday so if you scroll down a bit it shouldn't be to hard to find.

Dec 12, 2011 7:55 AM in response to JonDo71

JonDo,

You may be correct on the 95% - I read the other thread that I can now not find and think one of the posters said something about 91%. But since I can't find it I'll totally accept your 95%, it make more sense than 91%.

Also I have had this problem ever since I started using this Apple forum - for me complete threads just seem to disappear. And to make that even more confusing sometimes I'll come back a day or so later an there it will be again... Ugh!

I don't know if it is because I use M$ IE maybe I should use Safari???

Dec 12, 2011 10:02 AM in response to JonDo71

Its not stated by apple if they do do this it should be stated as it would cut down people with issues, it's the first time I have come across it, I am new to apple and migrated from a windows phone HTC HD2 and nothing like this happens on its charge cycle. That also has the same type of battery in it. I am not saying its wrong what your saying but its not a confidence booster to see your battery deplete on charge by 3% while plugged in and then not replenish that 3%. It's a wee bit random :-)

Anyone had a battery drop from 100% to 97% while plugged in, then will not charge until unplugged and plugged back in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.