Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iPhone 4s battery die in about 12 hours

My iPhone 4s battery dies stupidly quickly, even when it sits in my pocket doing nothing.

Went out today with 75% battery, used it to check football scores a coup[le times, sent half a dozen texts and died in... 11 hours.

What's going on???

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 6:07 PM

7 replies

Dec 17, 2011 7:13 PM in response to Dan Westley

Make sure you close all your apps out of the multitasking menu.

To close them

1) Double click your home button while on main screen.

2) Click and hold on one of the icons in the dock

3) Click the ➖ logo on the top left of each icon

Make sure you do this often having apps running at all times kills your battery.

Also if you're not using them turn off bluetooth and wifi.

Dec 18, 2011 5:59 AM in response to ZOMFGAARON

ZOMFGAARON wrote:

Make sure you close all your apps out of the multitasking menu.

To close them

1) Double click your home button while on main screen.

2) Click and hold on one of the icons in the dock

3) Click the ➖ logo on the top left of each icon

Make sure you do this often having apps running at all times kills your battery.

Also if you're not using them turn off bluetooth and wifi.

This is a common mis-conception amoung users. The majority of apps do NOT run in the background. There is no multi-taskiing menu, it is simply a list of recently used apps.

Things that will increase battery life http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Dec 18, 2011 8:16 AM in response to Dan Westley

Dan Westley wrote:

My iPhone 4s battery dies stupidly quickly, even when it sits in my pocket doing nothing.

Went out today with 75% battery, used it to check football scores a coup[le times, sent half a dozen texts and died in... 11 hours.

What's going on???

Do you have an Exchange email account on the phone, or apps that update in background? Something on your phone is using backround data. What you observed may be normal based on the apps you have installed and your email settings. For example, Exchange accounts retrieve email in real time. Each message turns the phone on for about a minute. So if you get 100 messages a day and they are spaced out over time that's 100 minutes of use right there. Now when you go to read those messages if you spend another minute per message that's 200 minutes of use for just email. The full life of the charge using 3G data is 6 hours (360 minutes), so the scenario I just described will use almost 2/3 of your charge on email alone.

Dec 18, 2011 2:34 PM in response to Dan Westley

I have already done most of what the official Apple page says to do.

The apps I have got into the habit of closing all the time now.

I've minimalised location services, wifi and bluetooth are off all the itme unless I'm at home and want to use wifi, I'e delete my email accounts off my phone totally all sorts!

Today, 9am had 100%, 12 hours later I had 20%.

Went into Vodafone today and they reckon I should be getting at least 1.5 - 2 days out of a full cycle, unless of course I'm streaming videos and making calls all the time, but I'm not.

I've been told as well not to charge it overnight as keeping it plugged in excessively damages the battery.

I was told by the guy that buy the sounds of it Apple might just replace the phone?

Dec 18, 2011 7:35 PM in response to Dan Westley

I would not take ANY of the advice you got, as saying not to charge it overnight because it damages the battery is TOTAL BS and contrary to Apple's own advice. The Vodaphone rep you spoke to is totally clueless. Using up a battery is NOT necessarily abnormal, depending on your mail settings, as I have already said. Every iPhone I have had over the past 4 1/2 years has needed to be charged overnight to get through the next day.

There is absolutely no way a vodaphone droid can tell you how much battery life you should get without reviewing every app you have installed, every setting, the number of email accounts and the number of messages a day you receive on each account. If he gives you any estimate at all he is pulling it out of his a--.

Why does my iPhone 4s battery die in about 12 hours

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.