Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I dropped my phone in water, is it ruined?

I just dropped it about 30 mins ago. I dryed off the outside and used a q-tip on all openings. It wont turn on.... should I wait for it to dry and maybe it will work?? Has anyone else had this problem before??? ANY help would be much appreciated.

iPhone 4

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 9:53 AM

9 replies

Dec 26, 2011 10:18 AM in response to Indyfilly06

DO NOT open the phone or touch the battery. If you do, you won't be eligeable for the "Out of Warranty" replacement cost and will have to pay full price.

Turn it off and put in in a sealed plastic bag with uncooked rice, and leave it for at least 4 days before attemting to use it again. If you're very, very, very, very ,very, very lucky, it will work again.

Dec 26, 2011 10:33 AM in response to modular747

The problem is the longer the battery remains within MORE CORROSION will take place as long as there is water within it

The battery can be removed without evidence of being so, therefore out of warranty exchange likely can still take place if it comes to that point.

It is the OP's call, I repair water damage products all the time, at surface component level and it is always best to remove power ASAP

As an example, those that spill onto a apple laptop think they are fine if they remove the main battery, yet many of them forget that there is a PRAM battery also, usually on the underside of the logic board, the current from that alone if wet within will start corrosion making if further more difficult to repair

Dec 26, 2011 11:03 AM in response to modular747

Although the patent has been approved, there's no guarantee that Apple or any other manufacturer will implement the techniques. But the patent does provide Apple with several options to protect itself from user-generated damage.

Indeed Apple does use moisture sensors, have for a long time, they HAVE NOT implemented case opening

And in fact if the phone is destroyed, the store will not be trying to recover sensor data other than to see if moister sensor had been triggered.

Yet we already know it likely has been

I dropped my phone in water, is it ruined?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.