Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 3GS keeps switching between iPhone speaker and Dock connector and I don't know how to keep it on iPhone speaker

My 3GS keeps switching between iPhone speaker and Dock connector and I don't know how to keep it on iPhone speaker so I can listen to my music and games. Is it hardware or software problem?

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 11:43 AM

im having the exact same problem ! im thinkin its a hardware problem , i was listening to my itunes in my car and i unplugged it while the song was still playing and now i have no alert /music or any type of sound , i can select ringtones and it will still play the sample , when i hit the side volume buttons it says ringer but the little notches that indicate the sound moving up and down arent even there , and there is no volume bar on my music player

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2011 11:43 AM in response to paneet

im having the exact same problem ! im thinkin its a hardware problem , i was listening to my itunes in my car and i unplugged it while the song was still playing and now i have no alert /music or any type of sound , i can select ringtones and it will still play the sample , when i hit the side volume buttons it says ringer but the little notches that indicate the sound moving up and down arent even there , and there is no volume bar on my music player

Feb 26, 2012 8:38 AM in response to paneet

I just posted this elsewhere:

My wife's iPhone4 keeps switching back to Dock Connector when she tries listening via headphones or through the phone's speaker. She's on Version 5.0.1 and I believe this just started happening after the upgrade. She really doesn't use this option (i.e. to listen on Apple TV or through Airport). Any way to disable that function in Music?

Then I saw your post - did it turn out to be a Hardware problem? Thanks!

Feb 27, 2012 11:22 PM in response to KLOS

I was told by a friend that sometimes when you use a 3rd party charger that the connectors are not the same size and so it can affect the sensors in the phone and make it seem like it is in a docking station and so changes the output for dock speakers. With that said, I didn't take my pohone in to be serviced at the appple store because it was a 3GS and over 2 years old and so not covered by any service plan. Since then my phone is back to normal and I can use my headphones and listen with the speakers on the phone. I stoped using the suspected cheap 3rd party charger and maybe that's what did it, but not sure if it was or wasn't the cause of my problem. I'm glad that my phone is better I was kinda holding out for the Iphone 5 when i comes out later and hope my phone lasted until then.

Feb 28, 2012 12:17 PM in response to paneet

Update for those who come to this post.

It was, indeed, a connector issue; however it was due to wetness. While my wife uses Bluetooth to connect in her car and does not use a hard wire connector, apparently she must have set it down in her cup holder and it was damp. And instead of the "tell-tale" sign of red, it was pink. As such, she couldn't hear any of the sound coming out of the phone. If you have a similar problem, shine a flash light into the connector of the phone, and if you see pink, that's the problem.

My 3GS keeps switching between iPhone speaker and Dock connector and I don't know how to keep it on iPhone speaker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.