Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

find my iPhone "no location available" after iCloud...

I've tried to install "find my iphone" on 3gs when I was on 4.3.3 or 4.3.5 (I don't know exactly). I used Mac OSX Lion to make a @me account. it did not work. It was "no Location available", and I thought well maybe I'm supposed to be on ios 5 for it to work!. now I'm on 5.0.1 and tried again. I still shows "no location available". for the past 4-5 days I'm trying to know why!!!!

strangely it knows when I turn on & off "find my iphone" on my 3gs. but no location shows. I have another iPhone 3gs. with the same ios, different apple id. and it shows location on same wifi network, rapidly!!!

I've tried following:

0-cheking apple troubleshooting instruction: correct time/place/apple ID/...all ok!

1-multiple Restore

2-turning on off location service, with or without reboot

3-deletting and re-adding apple id/icloud id/ with or without reboot

4-changing apple id/icloud id

5-changing wifi connection

6-changing data connection

7-reseting network settings

8-reading every article about this problem

9-praying

it doesn't work.

just want to know how many people are out there like me!?

and is there anyone with a sloution for this problem?! my guess is that it does not register my device on icloud server, for whatever reason!!!

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 9:41 PM

10 replies

Jan 2, 2012 9:50 PM in response to jt from florida

I use it to track my macbook and iphone 3gs. macbook and one of my iphones shows up but the other iphone does not. I have used "find my iphone" app from app store and also "find my iphone" section of iCloud. both with same results.

anyway, deleting and re-tracking does not help. my iphone shows up as offline or "no location available". thanks for suggestion.

Jan 21, 2012 6:46 AM in response to Bardiya

Well, I finally gave up and actually tried setting it up as a new phone. Losing your messages and having to set everything up again is a huge PITA, but now find my iphone works swimmingly.

BTW, none, and I mean _none_ of the other silly tricks, such as changing your DNS to Google´s 8.8.8.8 or force rebooting your device yada yada helped.

Good luck!

Jan 21, 2012 7:21 AM in response to Fruktsallad

hey my friend! you found the answer! congratulations!

I think you may be able to explore your backups and find your messages, photos, saves, and copy them to your iphone. there are a couple of programs doing this kind of things.

thanks to you, I would have never done that kind of reset myself, seems you are more digging than me! now that I konw this is something related to my backup I will try to explore my own backup to find anything interfering with it. hope I find something there.

Oct 23, 2013 6:11 PM in response to Bardiya

This is rubbish, not working at all. 4th gen ipod and logged into correct icloud acct, location services on, find my iphone on, still coming up that all devices are offline. Restored ipod as new device and nothing. This is ridiculous that after having this feature out for so long that this still is faulty. REALLY ANGRY I have wasted so much time trying to sort out something that shouldnt need work arounds like in another forum where someone turned off find my iphone and turned on contacts or something, and it worked. Ridiculous.

May 26, 2014 7:23 AM in response to Bardiya

Usually Apple recommended the below steps :

Why your iPhone not appears in Find My iPhone?

The reasons:
Your iCloud account is not configured on your device. Choose Settings > iCloud and enter your iCloud account information.
Your device is not update. It needs to be running iOS 5 or higher.
The date is incorrect on your device. Choose Settings > General > Date & Time to check and set the date.
Your device has lost network connectivity. If you have access to your device, and it appears to have an active Internet connection, in this case enable and then disable Airplane mode or turn the device off and back on.

Your device appears in Find My iPhone, but is offline, the reasons:

Your device is powered off, such as when the battery has run out.

• Your iPhone’s cellular service has been terminated by your wireless service provider.
  • Your iPod Touch, iPad, or Mac is asleep and not connected to a known Wi-Fi network. The command will be processed when your device is awakened and connected to the Internet.

<Link Edited By Host>

find my iPhone "no location available" after iCloud...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.