Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone 4 no sound on outgoing or incoming calls

Hi

Had a problem on my iPhone 4 since last night my phone rings but when I answer there is no sound.

I can't hear anyone on other end.But they can hear me. When

Trying to call out there is no sound just silent. The sound works perfectly on loudspeaker and

On headphones. The mic and speakers seem fine.

Do you need to still be in warranty to use the genius bar?

I don't have a clue what to do?

Anyone else got the same thing?

Any help appreciated?

Thanks

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 3:59 AM

14 replies

Dec 30, 2011 5:40 AM in response to Adam Luetchford

I'm curious so bear with me.

1. Are you on just a 4 or are you on a 4s?

2. Did you update to 5.1?

3. If so, did this happen prior to you updating to 5.1?

I ask ecause a lot of people with the iPhone 4s are reporting what sounds like the same problem you're having. I am on an iPhone 4s and have this issue, but my mother is on an iPhone ; and has the same issue, but to a lesser degree (happens less often).

A lot o people believe it is a hardware issue, but I personally am not so sure. My mom can't remember having this issue prior to me updating her phone and my phone cam with this version of iOS on it.

Anyway, I look forward to your answers.

Dec 30, 2011 6:26 AM in response to Adam Luetchford

I've tried the restore and I've tried resetting my network stuff and so far nothing.

It just always comes back. Someone on the 'big post' has reportedly switched to the 5.1 b2 software (dev software) and found success in that they no longer have the issue after 70 phone calls. Hopefully they release 5.1 (I meant 5.0.1 earlier - sorry for that typo, again) soon with all of this crap fixed.

I figure taking it back to the Genius Bar, for me as a 4s user, is running the gambit. There are four very annoying issues with these phones right now and I'd take this over all the rest. (Audio problems [I have], yellow screen, static issues and bad battery life).

Dec 30, 2011 2:16 PM in response to AliceKaye

I've just done a restore to set up the phone as new and still the same thing is happening, silent on calls. I'm not sure if this is hardware or software issue. As my speakers & mic are working I assume it's software but what do I know.

To top it off I updated iTunes and it's wiped all music, films off my laptop and it was not backed up in the cloud or on my hard drive. Ffs

Happy new year apple thanks for the trouble,

Mar 14, 2012 6:44 AM in response to Adam Luetchford

IVE FOUND THE SOLUTION!! This has been a problem for me for a while now!!

Anyhow.... Alot of replies on here said the make sure the headphone duct was clear of any dust or obstacles; HOWEVER, i found that aswell as that, i needed to clear the charger duct. Im not sure if there was dust in there too, but i found that blowing quite hard into the charger duct solved my problem. I tried many ways i saw on here, but found that the sound kept flicking on an off everytime i attached my charger. I blew into the duct to clear it and... WOL LAHHHH!!! Problem solved! I did also update my phone which apparently fixes any bugs, so hopefully i will not have this problem again!!

HOPE THIS HELPS GUYS! Let me kno :0)

IPhone 4 no sound on outgoing or incoming calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.