Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Insurance - Apple Care or Verizon? New user

A few days ago I picked up my new iPhone 4S 16GB from the local Verizon store where the sales rep wanted to sell me Verizon insurance for the phone. I didn't bite. A friend told me Apple Care offered better coverage and was less expensive then the Verizon insurance. My brother told me insurance was available thought COSTCO.

I usually don't buy insurance for my purchases but I've dropped my cell phones enough times to appreciate insurnace for my new iPhone.

BTW, anybody know what Verizon charges for a replacment iPhone 4S 16GB?

Any and all opinions regrading which insurance is best are welcomed.

iPhone 4S

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 5:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 5:37 PM

Verizon doesn't repair or replace iPhones. Apple does. The charge is a flat $149. AppleCare is NOT insurance; it is an extended warranty. AppleCare Plus is sort of warranty; they will replace your phone if damaged for $49.

19 replies

Jan 2, 2012 7:19 PM in response to pvonk

So far I've learned Apple Care+ costs $99.00 it extends the 4S 90day warranty to two years and includes two incidents of physical damage with a $49.00 deductible (don't know if that's two incidents per year or over two years). Verizon has similar coverage but includes actual loss of the phone.

Mike

Jan 3, 2012 6:01 AM in response to Ace_1

make sure you know the difference between the Applecare and the Applecare + plus. The regular Aplcare is phone support and warranty coverage for two years from the date of purchase. does not cover any accidental or lost and stolen. the Applecare +plus is not insurance, but the same as Aplcare with accidental coverage for two incidents during that two year period with a deductable of $49. the regular aplcare is $69 and the aplcare +Plus is $99.

Jan 3, 2012 7:25 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:

Verizon doesn't repair or replace iPhones. Apple does.

During the one year warranty period, Verizon does replace defective iPhones. If you purchase the insurance/extended warranty from them, they will continue to do so in the second year as well. However, they do not keep replacement units in stores. They have to be sent to you. If you don't have the extended warranty, there is a shipping charge for everything except 5 day USPS delivery.

What Verizon's coverage doesn't give you is the extended phone support through Apple that you get with AppleCare.

Best of luck.

Jan 3, 2012 7:34 AM in response to ousmanefromdalevile

ousmanefromdalevile wrote:

well verizon is actually supposed to send the customer to Apple for warranty and repairs. Verizon is not an authorized service provider of apple, just a carrier

I suspect that if Verizon weren't allowed to provide replacement units, Apple would stop them. It seems unlikely that Verizon would jeopardize their contract with Apple by doing something like that if they weren't allowed to do it. Verizon provides warranty replacement units for all of the phones they sell, including iPhones. However, as neither of us are privy to the exact terms of the contract between the two companies, anything further is probably inappropriate speculation.

iPhone Insurance - Apple Care or Verizon? New user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.